Monday, November 18, 2013

The Lie

This past weekend Shep was out of town. 

Yours truly got to fill in as the teacher for our Sunday school class at church.

As I prepared for the lesson on "Sanctification" I uncovered some truths that I felt God was speaking to me.

The grand lie that myself and so many other Christians believe is this:  the closer we get to Jesus the less we need Him.

I live like I am going to attain some level of maturity with Christ so that I will somehow be less dependent.

Isn't this true?

Here is the truth:  the closer we get to Jesus the more we realize we need Him even more.

Walking closely with Jesus (in the brief moments I actually do this) requires a dependence that most of us are uncomfortable with admitting.

The process of sanctification can be boiled down to this....being ok with needing Jesus all the time.

His truths didn't stop there.

Needing Jesus all the time requires work on my part.

We usually aren't ok with this either.

Who wants to work at something else?

We have jobs, families, commitments, obligations, deadlines, schedules, and appointments.  Laundry has to get done.  The house has to (occasionally) be cleaned.  Groceries, pets, playdates, and so on.

Needing Jesus to change my habits, my thoughts, my actions, my likes, my dislikes, my attitude, and my heart require some level of work.

Working for God.....isn't what I am getting at here.  Being a greeter at church, serving in the children's ministry, donating money, and volunteering hours won't change the heart.

It is the real work of Christianity.  Needing Jesus to do it all.

How does that happen?

Pouring His Word into your mind for transforming and renewal.
Spending time in prayer for guidance, repentance, confession, intercession, and praise.


Starting with these two simple things would go a long way in doing the work of sanctification.

It would be awesome (I guess) if Jesus zapped us and made us just as He is. 

But then we wouldn't get to observe the supernatural change that occurs in our lives when we yield.

I am the most blown away when God helps me to love someone I want to hate or when forgiveness and mercy come easier than it used to.  I am in awe of Him when generosity replaces cynicism and selfishness in my own life. 

This is the work. 

Needing Him all the time changes who we are.....and the cycle continues as others observe and desire that change as well. 

A great plan from a truly great God.

1 Corinthians 1:2 "...you who have been called by God to be his own holy people.  He made you holy by means of Christ Jesus, just as he did all Christians everywhere-- whoever calls upon the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and theirs."




No comments: