Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Kept Woman

We sing a song at church that repeats the phrase, "Keep the Faith."

Other times people will use that phrase as some type of encouragement or knock-around filler when they don't know what to say.

I totally get the phrase.

I even get why people say it.

We are to keep believing.  Keep hoping.  Keep on walking the walk.  Yada yada.

But isn't this a little backwards?

God was the initiator of relationship with man from the very beginning.  Our very existence is because He thought of us first.  He formed man with His hands and made us into His image. We couldn't live unless He hadn't first gotten involved.

And faith is given by God.  I can't just get faith on my own.

Like the unbelieving father that cried out, "I do believe.  Help my unbelief" we are dependent upon His power in us to exert faith.

Growth and maturity in Jesus through reading God's Word and intimate prayer time broadens our capacity to believe God for even more. 

But, again, He pursues us.  Relationship with us was His idea.  (We just reap the benefits)

So even our growth and maturity is His idea.

Making the time and putting forth the effort may fall upon our human volition but the drawing of the Spirit upon our hearts is His invitation.

This absolutely blesses the heart of a weary follower of Christ.

I love Jesus so much.

My heart almost can't contain the love His has bestowed upon me.

But what ministers to me in a world of constant bombardment of do more....work harder...strive longer....is that He keeps me.

I can only "keep the faith" because He keeps me.

I am a kept woman.

Great security flows from that little phrase.

These verses are rich and extravagant in meaning to me.  I Peter 1:3:5 state this truth so much better than I ever could.  We tend to veer away from the King James Version but this translation is ageless and beautiful.

 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.









1 comment:

Tess said...

Amen. Love this.