Thursday, June 5, 2014

Occasions to Cherish

Why in the world does the month of May sneak up on me?!?

I know it is coming every single year.  Right after April and before June yet I am caught by surprise time and time again.

The wrap up of the school year and extracurricular activities is about enough to leave a mom dazed and confused.

We wrapped up soccer. We wrapped up ballet.  We wrapped up Awana.  We wrapped up chorus.  We wrapped up Kindergarten, 3rd grade, and 5th grade. We celebrated graduations and birthdays and anniversaries.

I am still not sure how we managed to get through the month and stay normal.

From now on I am going to mark May on my calendar as the same level of crazy as Christmastime.  Because it really is.

Blogging took a back seat this month because life had to be lived...not just written.

In the midst of the craziness were two incredibly special occasions that I want to share. 




This little boy of ours turned 6 years old.  His birthday always falls right at the last day of school.

He is a delight to us in every way.

We knew nothing but girly stuff when he came along.  He has certainly changed all of that.  He is laid back and funny.  He loves to take risks and go fast and still snuggle with me and his daddy.  This was a big birthday for him.  He got a BB gun and his first real knife.

It has been pure joy for me to watch my little man and my big man whittle sticks and shoot squirrels together.
Zeke wants to be like his daddy in every way and nothing would please me more.

Happy birthday Ezekiel.  My heart just spills out when you look at me and I see your daddy in your little features.  More than anything...I want you to love Jesus.  I pray for you to be brave, strong, kind, self-controlled, compassionate, and honest.  You are the perfect ending to our little family.  

The second occasion I cherished this month included the other fella in my life.

Shep and I celebrated 16 years of marriage this May.

This seems completely unbelievable to me.

What is the saying?  "The days seem long but the years seem short."

Our days and struggles seem long but the years continue to fly by....

I am so strengthened by my husband. He lives his life in simple yet furiously strong faith.  It splashes over onto me all the time.  His optimism and perseverance are unlike anything I have ever witnessed in another person.  Other than the saving grace of Jesus....Shepard Helton is my greatest blessing.  I love being his wife.  I love being the mother of his children.  I love sharing space with him.  I love knowing his secrets.  I love how he cherishes me.

We had a chance to get away for one night and we seized it.  The night was full of serendipity.  Our favorite food, scenic walks, dancing and chance encounters made for the best night ever!  We ended the evening at midnight slowing dancing to "At Last".  It couldn't have been more appropriate.

I love being married to this man.  I still have the biggest crush on him!










No comments: