Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Cringe of Change

I can remember numerous times in childhood that my mama would look at me and smile and say these words, "Please don't grow up.  Stay little."

Now I hear myself saying those words to my little ones that seem to grow like weeds by the day. 

I get it now. 

She wanted time to stand still.

She wanted innocence to remain.  She wanted curls and bows and pigtails to always be my style.

Change was happening right before her eyes and the thought of it made her want to cringe.  Not in a bad way~ just in a < s l o w d o w n>  kind of way.

Sometimes change happens so quickly.  Too quickly.  We find ourselves groping for something that remains untouched by change.  Something above the tarnish of time.  Something lasting and forever and true. 

Shep and I are so blessed to come from sets of parents that remain married to each other.  Their marriages are strong and marked by devotion.

In the past week we have encountered serious medical issues with 3 of our 4 parents.

It has been sudden and scary.

Our normal somewhat settled-but-busy routine has been replaced by "wait and see".

My thoughts have wanted a stable place to land instead of bouncing all over the place and filling in open-ended questions of "what if?"

Here is the truth that I run from and can't escape: CHANGE IS INEVITABLE.

It happens.

Rolling with that change is hard.

There are certain amounts of change that I enjoy.  Love even.  

The fact that God created four different seasons is so marvelous to me.  By the time one season gets underway I begin thinking about the season that will follow.

Spring is so fresh and colorful.
Summer has the feel of freedom and fun.
Fall brings breezes and hayrides and a color of blue in the sky that you can't forget.
And winter....brings fires, chili dinners, the holidays and maybe, just maybe, some snow for those of us here in the South.

We love the change of it.  Even those of us that hate change like the differences.  Or maybe it is better said that we appreciate them.  

Why?  

Because this type of change is predictable.  We know it is coming.  We prepare for it and look forward to the newness that comes along with it.

Unpredictable change is what leaves me shaking in my boots.

The call that Shep's dad is unresponsive.
The news that my mom has suffered several mini-strokes and there are more tests to do and more hurtles to jump.
The drive to the hospital following the ambulance that is carrying my dad.

These unpredictable changes have shaken me. 
All three scenarios have happened in the past week.

Change that leaves us cringing.  Longing for something solid, sturdy and constant.

Jesus is it.

His character is unchanging.
He is always good.
He has always been.
He will always be.
His love never fails.
He never leaves.
His grace is enough.
He is always a refuge.
He is the Great I AM.


Circumstances are often the very tool that teach us to search Him out and find that He is true.  My invitation to taste and see that God is good has come through emergencies that scare me.  My choice is to either stay scared and try to do this on my own...OR allow God to be what He says He is.  Right here.  Right now.  In the midst of my scary place.
This unexpected detour could just be a place where God gloriously teaches me to trust Him yet again. 

When my soul has not been able to find rest~ I have chosen to rest in the One that changes not.

 You can too.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.  Hebrews 13:8
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. Psalm 90:2
If we are faithless, he remains faithful— for he cannot deny himself. 2 Tim.2:13
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” Revelation 22:13
To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. 1 Tim.1:17
For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. Col.1:16

Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god. Isaiah 44:6











No comments: