Saturday, May 9, 2015

Getting Called on the Carpet

When I taught 8th grade I would start each class with a "cliché of the day." 

A lot of the clichés that I had were from many generations past but I was impressed that most often my 8th graders would still know the meanings of them.  Plus~ it was a fun way to get them warmed up to enjoy my English class.

Of course the student with the correct answer was rewarded with candy. 

But back to the title of this post....

This cliché is most known for "getting in trouble". In days past a factory worker would get called in by a superior and most often the superior's office had carpet floor.  Hence...the cliché.

We are born into this world hating correction.

I am pretty sure we leave this world hating correction.

And there is an entire life lived in between that requires what we hate. 

~Being corrected~.  Getting called on the carpet.

This happened to me recently.

I was called on the carpet.

Someone that I respect immensely had to call me out for something.

Let me not sit here and tell you that I enjoyed it. 

Because that would be a complete lie.

But...it was appropriate. 

I had done something that needed to be addressed.  This person had the authority to do it.

Despite the awkwardness of the moment, I was able to receive it and understand the good in it.

I wish I could tell you that I always handle correction in this way. 

 But that would be a lie also.

I simply received it.

There was no need to get angry or indignant.  There was no reason at all to be offended.  There was no additional person to blame.  

The offense had been mine. 
I owned it.
I agreed that it had been wrong.
I apologized.

More than that I walked away with a respect for the one that had to correct me. 

How many times do we brush stuff under the rug instead of appropriately dealing with it?

This person chose the hard but good thing.

This person took the risk of being misunderstood, blamed, and ridiculed. 

This person risked offending and angering me.

This person did the right thing.

Because I love my children~ I correct them.
Because God loves us~ He corrects us.

We get completely wigged out when someone comes to us with an issue to resolve.

Y'all...last time I checked there was not one single perfect person.

We can be rude, selfish, arrogant, mouthy, and lazy.  And this list just describes how I have already behaved today....

God uses other people to encourage and push me in my faith all the time.

But somehow when God uses other people to correct a rebellious root in me I act as if I am above that. 

Do you see the pride in my heart?!?

It is foul and wrong.

That ought to embarrass us me.

But the world tells us to stay angry.  Stay puffed up.  "How dare someone correct you?"

So we do.  We look like everyone else. 

How is this behavior like my Jesus?

I want so badly to be open to correction. To be someone that is not easily offended.

Let me take this even further...I have just described a situation in my life where someone had to appropriately correct me. 

What about when we get falsely accused?  What about when someone corrects something in us and they are just completely off base?

This presents another opportunity to be set apart and different.

Christ would not have flown off the handle and flipped out.  He would not have pouted for days and held a grudge against that person.  He would have said little and prayed much.  How would have turned that cheek and shown kindness.

THIS sets us apart.

So here is the truth that is going to hurt you just as it did me.

WE DON"T REALLY WANT TO BE DIFFERENT.

We want to be offended.
We want to hold grudges.
We want to talk bad about people.
We want to shift the focus and blame to someone else....
We believe that is easier.

Why?  So we don't have to deal with the root of pride in our own hearts. 

It is that simple.

I am 37 years old.
I am crazy about Jesus.
He has changed my life and set me free.
I love people.
I love God's Word.

But I AM NOT perfect.

I got in trouble.  I got called out.

And here is the truth:  it was good for me.


"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me." Matthew 5:11

"Love is not easily offended." 1 Corinthians 5:13


Proverbs 6:23
23 For this command is a lamp,
    this teaching is a light,
and correction and instruction
    are the way to life,
Proverbs 15:31-33
31 Whoever heeds life-giving correction
    will be at home among the wise.
32 Those who disregard discipline despise themselves,
    but the one who heeds correction gains understanding.
33 Wisdom’s instruction is to fear the Lord,
    and humility comes before honor.


2 comments:

New Adventures said...

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing. I once thought that one day I'd be "all grown up!"
I'm thinking that must be for Heaven!

Tess said...

Wow.