Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Strange Sunday

I didn't go to church today.

Zeke was running a fever so Shep and the girls went without us.

It was weird....

This girl has been in church since I was forming inside my mama's womb. Church is like a second home to me. I have always been so blessed to be a part of church families where I knew I was loved, challenged, supported and encouraged.

Zeke was feeling basically OK (with the help of Advil) so I loaded him up and we went to the grocery store.

I had a minimal list of things to get and I thought that I might as well utilize the time and get some things done.

Strange is the only word that describes it...being at the store...running errands...not being in God's house....not offering up my praise and thanksgiving with my church family...it was just strange.

Don't mistake what I am saying.

I actually understand why a lot of people don't go to church. They've been jaded and judged one too many times.

A church is just a building for some people. A building where hypocritical people gather to check off their visit for the week. They go to say that they were there. They leave the same...unchallenged...bored...unmoved...and certainly untouched by the Presence of a Holy and Loving God. Church doesn't mean anything to a lot of people.


But to me...it is so much more.
I can't imagine not wanting to go.


My church is so dear to me. It is the place where God is waiting to reign down upon us. Where He speaks through His Word. Where He challenges how I think, how I act, and convicts me of sin. A place where hugs abound from people who pray for you. An open altar to ask for help, repentance, and intercede for myself and so many others who are hurting. My church is an extension of my family. It is grace-filled and full of people who are at best pathetic without the life-changing power of Jesus Christ.

Yea, today was weird for me.

I missed my church.

No comments: