Thursday, February 21, 2013

Tempted...at any age

Church was a staple of life for me. 

It was a home away from home.

Unfortunatey I think kids toss aside the privilege of coming into God's house so frequently.  I know I did.

As a kid and teenager, it became more of a place to be seen and hang out with friends.

On the flip side... it did mostly keep us out of trouble.

(I mean no one really considers practical jokes, wet willies, or house rolling as trouble, right?!?)

Being involved at church and hanging around with good freinds went a long way in avoiding trouble and temptation as a teenager.

But what about now? 

I was just thinking about how temptation is still such a part of daily life.

I am still tempted to lie.
I am still tempted to cheat.
I am still tempted to do the things I know I shouln't do.

We don't outgrow the pull of temptation.

Granted the temptations have changed.  But they are still present.

Youth seems to be the time when we are warned repeatedly about various temptations.

Don't have sex.
Don't drink.
Don't do drugs.

Am I right?

If I had a dollar for every time these words were uttered in youth group I would be well off even still.

But what happens when we exit our teenage years? 

We go on living life. 
We attempt to make wise choices.

But we sometimes forget that we are a walking target.

These days I am not tempted like the young impulsive teenage girl who sought to please others.

Now I am tempted like the worn out, thriving, desperate wife and mother that I am.

But now....instead of sitting next to other teenagers who battle the same feelings I do.  I sit next to other mothers and wives and try not to drown in my own comparisons.

See.....the battle is totally different now.

Staying true to our convictions despite the temptation to cave is so so hard...at any age.

Attempting to grow in my faith and staying in God's Word have helped my feet not stray the path.

But temptation is real. 

Without Jesus I know I would have gone from one feel good thing to the next.  I am well aware of my weakness.

Let's not live like a battle is not raging around us. 

Let's not live like we are immune or too old to encounter temptation.

Let's be real.

Let's acknowlege that we live lives that the Enemy of our souls would love to destroy.

Stand your ground...stay true to your convicitons...do what is right.

"Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."  Eph. 6:13

The stand you take may greatly impact others.....






1 comment:

Tess said...

My favorite line... "Staying true to our convictions despite the temptation to cave is so so hard...at any age." Love this. So true. Love you!