Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Tuesday I Totally Blew It

I have written of her before.

She is this woman that looks so much like me.

Same hair.
Same eyes.
Same clothes.
Same smile....er...or scowl.
Same husband and kids....as me.

She is the person that comes out with brutal force and makes a mockery of the Christian witness I try so hard to profess.

She came out again this past Tuesday.

Let me set the stage:  our family was supposed to be at the church by 6:30 for new directory pictures to be taken at 6:45.

Caroline had not been feeling well.  She was on medicine for an ear infection but she takes a little longer to fight things off.  My other two precious children did not want any part of the schedule that was working in my head.  They had to be dressed nicely and ready to go by 5:15. The plan was to meet Shep at Chickfila, eat (without getting anything on our clothes), and then head over to the church as the happy, low-stress family that we are...smiles ready and playing at the edges of our lips.

By 5:15 I had managed to get all of the kids dressed. But I wasn't dressed.  I had completely forgotten to shower.  (Sad but true)  God also decided we needed some rain.  Everything I tried on...I hated.  This really never happens to me.  Seriously..I think I changed clothes 6 times and still managed to put on an ensemble I will probably never wear again.  My hair was in total rebellion mode.  And did I mention it was raining?!?  You add humidity to naturally curly hair that it already rebelling and you get hair the size of Texas.

At this point I frantically call Shep and nix the current plan.  He can tell in my voice that the volcano inside of me could blow at any moment.  So he speaks in sweet tones that should've had a calming effect.

But they don't.  I am late. I hate being late. I have big hair.  My kids are annoying me.  (whiny, hungry, and don't feel good)  I hate my outfit.  AND...it is pouring rain outside.

We hustle to the car.  Everyone gets in and gets buckled.  

We make it to ChickfilA.  I order and tell the kids we will eat when we get to daddy's office. 

It is now 6:15.  We pull into Shep's office. 

My plan is to eat and leave within 15 minutes and have another go at trying to tame the mane, which is, my hair.

Shep comes out and gets Caroline.  Zeke and Ava head into his office.  I come in with the food and set it down.  Shep is going to feed the kids and himself while I attempt hair maintenance.  I spend a total of 3 minutes in the bathroom trying to fix the unfix able.  I get back to his office and Shep has a funny look on his face.

He says, "Um honey they didn't put the kids meals in here."

******************************WARNING**************************************

The other woman, my mean ego, enters this scene.

I really kind of went nuts.
  
This one statement threw me over the edge.

I yelled something about just get the kids the church.  I am going back to Chickfila to get the food I paid for.

I head back to ChickfilA and get the food and meet them at the church.  The poor folks at the drive thru had my food ready but they could tell I was less than happy. 

It is now time for our picture appointment.

It is still pouring rain.
No one has eaten.
No one wants to smile
AND...did I forget to mention that I have a mission trip meeting that started at 6:30 as well.


We get into the hallway and I sit down to fill out the paperwork.

I am trying so hard to be nice to the kind lady (and church member) trying to help us.

At this point of the story I need to just stop and say that I allowed the events of a bad afternoon dictate how I would treat my husband, children, and poor perfect strangers.

I wish I could tell you that I saw God's light of grace and became a sweet fragrance.

But that didn't happen.

The good news is that the pictures got taken and even ended up being cute.  The photographer made my kids laugh and laugh and they really needed to. 

But the even better news is that I had the opportunity to apologize.  My meanness, bad attitude and lack of self control spilled over onto so many other people.  Isn't it amazing the amount of influence we really do possess...especially us mommas?!?

God convicted my heart pretty quickly.  The damage had been done but conviction and repentance did its work.  I immediately wanted to make things right. 

I apologized to Shep for being ill tempered and yelling at him for no reason.
I apologized to my children for losing my temper over silly ridiculous reasons.
I apologized to the lady filling out our paperwork for the awkward and tense moments she had to witness and be a part of (poor thing).
I apologized to the photographer for being disagreeable and also for influencing my husband to be in an ill temper.

Whew....the domino effect was unreal.

My mood became the monster.  Thankfully the sweet lady and photographer graciously accepted our apologies.  But seriously...I can't ever get that impression back.  Even after a genuine apology the damage had been done. 

I am very thankful that even in my rant the Holy Spirit was so faithful to speak to me.  He tenderly kept pointing out that my influence is bigger than I realize. 

If someone had seen this version of me they wouldn't have thought of me as a godly woman.  That breaks my heart.  I want nothing more than to love Jesus with everything.  But days like this come.  Our influence during the craziness really does matter and more than that it has profound influence.

We must be ready and alert at all times.  We must be clothed with God's armor. (Eph.6) The fruit of the Spirit works for us and in us as believers.  But we must be surrendered to it.

Oh God help us not to blow it and tarnish your holy Name. 
 But when we blow it....burden our hearts to bless You through humility.  Quick repentance and genuine remorse go a long way to build up that which was blown.











1 comment:

ToLiveLoved said...

This is hilarious to me because I was literally smack dab in the middle of a blog about our Tuesday. But we happened to have a blissful Tuesday (not the norm, of course) .......I just had to laugh out loud.....don't even know if I can finish it now! ......course today has been anything BUT blissful. Just the way it goes, isn't it?
your story is a classic......one we've all lived and at some point, the memory gets a little funny. well maybe not funny. ;-)
thankful for His grace and for the freedom that comes form apologizing and just owning our junk.