Friday, September 19, 2014

A Lesson from Carpet

Yes folks, God can indeed use anything He so chooses to teach us.

For me, on this particular day, it was carpet.

I had missed my morning coffee and treated myself to a BIG 36 oz Styrofoam cup of half diet coke/cherry coke at 8:00 am.  (Don't judge)

I had dropped the kids off at school and had a small window of time to get back home and work on some bible study homework for about 45 minutes.

Settling into my spot on the floor I immediately began writing our scripture down in the designated spot of my bible study book.  Writing relaxes me sometimes.  I was sincerely trying to write and say and soak in the words of scripture while enjoying spontaneous sips from my 36 oz drink.

Well....the inevitable happened.

The drink got knocked over.  Turns out carpet isn't very sturdy for such a top heavy drink.

I jumped up to get some paper towels from the kitchen and returned to find my spilled coke standing on top on the carpet.

Seriously....the carpet was resisting the stain.

Amazed I just stood there watching the carpet do its thing.  Then I tossed the paper towel down on top of the standing coke drops.  They immediately absorbed into the paper towel.  When I lifted the paper towel my eyes could not see where the drops had been originally spilled.  The carpet wasn't even wet.  No stain appeared.  It was as if the spill had never occurred.

Right there I sensed God speaking  to my heart.

Resist sin Andrea.  Resist what spills onto you.  Resist the things that tempt to overtake you.  Resist selfishness.  Resist vanity.  Resist pride.  Resist overindulgence.  Resist the sin that seeks to entangle you and stain your life. Resist jealousy.  Resist gossip.  Resist revenge.

If I am about running to Jesus then resisting sin should be something that comes natural.  This carpet is built to resist stain.  It has specific fibers that the manufacturers used to make it that way.

In an odd comparison....the very fibers of my being were changed the day that Jesus came into my heart.  His Holy Spirit now dwells within me and changes me from the inside out.  When I am weak I run to Him and He helps me resist the sin that tempts this wayward heart.  Whatever should spill onto me can be wiped clean by the nail scarred hands of Jesus.  I am now stain resistant too.

Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  James 4:7


1 comment:

Calven said...

I must say you are a good writer I am reading yours Articles and it is quite interested. it so good to keep your surroundings clean and arranged. My wife is very much sensitive for his surroundings about that too. And she managed in very peaceful way.We always enjoy each other company and arranged tour in different regions. recently we comeback from acadia bus tours and had great time there.