Tuesday, October 28, 2014

the Lure of Logic

Simple faith is the requirement for Jesus to save us.

Simple faith changes us.
Simple faith redeems us.
Simple faith seals forgiveness.
Simple faith reveals mercy.

But faith is far from simple.  At least for me.

We have begun a new ladies bible study. The first week has focused on childlike faith.

The faith of a child is our goal.  Reclaiming it is hard to do.

Children possess a quality of wonder and simplicity that almost makes their eyes sparkle.  We can see it and remember how we used to be...

~They just believe~

It isn't until they get some age under their belt that they start asking "why" and "how".

Somewhere along our journey the "why's" and the "how's" become more important to us than the faith.

Why is that?

I have heard myself ask "why" something awful has occurred on lots of occasions.  But honestly, would knowing the "why" change any of the pain?

I don't think so.

Job suffered relentless heartache and he never knew why. 

We know his why.  He was chosen because he trusted God. He was picked for his pain.

There was good in it for him.

Ugh.

These are the topics I can't stand to think about and discuss but they stay upon my heart.

Our first step into a relationship with God is done by simple faith.

Every other step will be taken the same way too.

God doesn't change course.

Faith is the way.  Faith is required.

We detour off this path of simplicity when we start bogging down our brain with the "how's" and "why's".  It is the lure of the enemy.  He has always offered knowledge and wisdom up on a platter for God's children.  Sadly, we continue to take the bait.
We think we should get to know details that God never intended for us to know.  Simply read the fall of man in Genesis chapter 3.  Verses 1 through 7 describe the lure, bait, and fall. 

Faith is lost that way.

We have one obligation to God.  Believe.
 
His Word says it over and over again.

Logic lures us away from faith.

I am not suggesting that anyone should not use the brains that God gave us to think and reason and process. However I know that we can think, reason, and process our way right out of faith.

Let's strive to not make that trade.

Logic wants to know why.
Logic needs to know how.

Simple faith just trusts God alone.

Oh God your ways are not my ways.  Forgive me for holding out my faith based on how you may choose to work.  Forgive me for wanting to know how and why all the time.  Help me to love you more.  Help me to trust you more.  Help me to keep it simple.  Return my faith to that of a child....to simply walk beside you each day and obey through belief.  





No comments: