Monday, February 23, 2015

Turn Us Again

The verse is repeated 3 times in Psalm 80.

"Turn us to yourself, O God.
Make your face shine down upon us.
Only then will we be saved."

Why is turning so hard?

I think the answer is as simple as, "we want it our own way."

Sometimes when we can't seem to turn ourselves we have to ask for help.

There is One that aches to turn his child home.

I am not a typical prodigal child.  I haven't left my husband or kids and gone out in search of fun.  But my heart tends to wander away a lot.

I want to squander the riches of His grace for instant ease.
I want to enjoy revenge on someone rather than seek mercy instead.
I want to please myself with over indulgences rather than exercise mindful self control.
I want to let my pride win over all rather than humbling myself before my Savior and my God.

See? 

From the outside I am rather put together.

But this heart of mine must be kept in check.

It must constantly be turned to Jesus or it will run amuck.

I love that over and over and over again He doesn't mind turning us around.

Even if He has done it a thousand times before.  He never tolerates us.  He never tires of hearing a child utter this plea, "Turn me again, Lord."

This verse doesn't stop there.

The writer shamelessly asks for more.

Once turned.....we get to ask Him to shine down upon us.

And get this.  HE DOES.

He takes His glorious presence and shines it down upon a child just previously turned away from him.

His tenderness shames me.

(I usually need a block of time away from my kids when they have been purposely disobedient.)

But not our God.

He rushes in. 

His presence does something for our souls that nothing else can.  It SATISFIES.

And the last part of this verse is beautifully summed up with these words, "only then will we be saved."

Only then....


Salvation must begin with an turning. 

If we can't turn ourselves....He will turn us. 

It ends with a glorious saving.


I turned to Jesus at 9 years old.  He sealed me with His Presence and saved me with His grace.

I turned to Jesus again this morning at 37 years old.  My heart wanted to go its own way today.  I confessed that to Him. I brought it all before Him.  My hurt. My weariness.  My fear.  My anger.  My questions.  My gratitude.  My blessings.  I let Him turn me once again.  He may have to do it again before lunchtime.  But He delights to turn me~ His child. I felt the joy of His presence when I relinquished control.  Saved again...from myself.



2 comments:

Anne Newton said...

A message I needed to hear. Thank you for sharing your heart.

Mande said...

Whew, friend, PREACH! "Turning" mandatory and constantly reoccurring. I'm so overwhelmed with the intimate ways He does this within me as His beloved child. From blessings to pain, He knows exactly how to draw me near to the foot of the cross. I love you and your heart!