Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Changed the Landscape in my Life



 In honor of Father's Day I wanted to pause and honor the man who loved me before I ever saw the light of day.

My daddy.
I have nothing but blissful memories of him as a father.  His jolly demeanor defined who he was to me.  He was always singing, whistling or humming a tune.  He worked hard and would go out of his way completely to help others.  Still does.
He can hardly talk about Jesus without crying and I love that.
 Mom says that her first memory of seeing me after I was born was in this man's arms.  He had already put a pink little bow in my head full of black hair.  From then on I remember being held a lot.  I was the baby girl so that provided a good enough excuse for serious spoiling.  When I got too big to hold, daddy just transferred me to his shoulders.  I can remember taking a couple of trips to Disney World as a child and I don't think my feet ever hit the pavement.  I just got to take it all in from the sturdy strong shoulders of my daddy. 

As a strong believer in Jesus Christ, he lives his life in a manner that shines God's light and blesses those around him.  His boundaries are strong, his grace is vast, his love is deep, and his mercy for others knows little measure.  He dotes and he drives.  He challenges and he cares.  He motivates and moves others to be better for the sake of Jesus.

I can't imagine a better daddy anywhere. Well...I know of one that comes really close....





I am so grateful that my children get to live their lives with this man guiding our family.

Shep is the most steady, sure, strong, and silly man I know.

I love sneaking a peek at my kids when the door creaks at dinnertime and daddy comes through the door.  Hollywood has nothing on him!  He is the superstar at this house.  Everything is more fun with him around.  I am amazed that God gave him to me...and us.  He and my daddy are very different but some of their similarities are jaw-dropping.

If you know Shep at all....he sings often.  He is jolly and optimistic always.  And he can't speak of Jesus without crying either.  He leads us by example.  He is strong and kind wrapped in a nice-looking package!

I got to have that example as a kid and God gave me that in a partner.

My devotion ended this morning by saying that, "the secret of a disciple's life is devotion to Jesus Christ, and the characteristic of that life is its seeming insignificance and its meekness.  Yet it is like a grain of wheat that 'falls to the ground and dies'~ it will spring up and change the entire landscape."


I don't know men more devoted to following Christ than my dad and my husband.  They would hope for their own life to get lost and become insignificant if that meant that Jesus would receive glory or someone else would come to know Him as their Savior.  I watch them daily strive to die to their own selfish desires. In addition to that I admire the way they plant themselves in the lives of others to offer encouragement and guidance.  Wherever they go and whatever they do.....they change the landscape in the lives around them!



No comments: