Friday, June 1, 2012

A Front Row Seat

You know those moments you have experienced in your life that were exhilarating beyond description.

Perhaps it was your wedding day, a baby being born, or some crazy fearless feat like...skydiving.

Anyway, you know the feeling I am talking about.  When your soul seems to soar and you don't want to think about when the moment might end.

I have wondered about the people in the Bible who were asked to do crazy things by God.  People who would have probably sky-dived if given the option.  But, then again, God isn't really into options is He?

Let's see..I'll just name a few that may have experienced the exhilaration I am talking about. But they only experienced it because they did what had been asked of them.   They stepped out with shaky knees, lumps in their throats, and mocking friends who called them crazy. 

Noah.  Do you think he had chill bumps break out all over his body when rain (which he had never seen) began falling from the sky?  Yet he and his family were safely on an ark that God instructed him to build, in advance, when everyone else laughed, scoffed, and called him crazy.

Esther.  Do you think the butterflies calmed in her tummy when she watched as God moved on the heart of a pagan king to listen to a young Hebrew girl?  Or do you think her faith exploded in joy and awe as her Heavenly King acted on her behalf?

Joshua.  I wonder if his palms were sweaty and his pulse fast on the start of the 7th time marching around Jericho?  Did his faith waver at all?  Or did he know, with fervent expectancy, that the walls were about to fall down with a shout of victory?

These were just ordinary people.  Folks like you and me.  But they served and obeyed and extraordinary God.  AND they got to experience some exhilarating moments.

I have had the distinct pleasure of stepping out in the past several weeks and ministering in some ways I wouldn't have chosen.  The outcome was and is unclear and the method sometimes unpleasant. My emotions have been all over the map.  It has required late hours, endless prayers, embarrassing moments and going out of my way personally.

BUT...I have gotten to experience some exhilarating moments when God and His glory have shown up.

Plain ordinary me has gotten to witness God's grace and power with a front row seat.

All He has needed from me is obedience.  He didn't mind my sweaty hands, racing pulse, or the butterflies in my belly.

I pray these opportunities continue to present themselves.  I pray that God continues to allow me to serve Him in this super cool way.

I have to stay very general because these opportunities involve real people.  With names and faces that He loves so much.

Accepting the opportunity from God is scary and unnerving...but having a front row seat to a changed life in Christ is completely worth the risk.


Psalms 10:17-18 "You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted;
you encourage them, and listen to their cry,
defending the fatherless and the oppressed,
in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more."










No comments: