Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I'll have to settle...

We had such a fun loooooong Memorial Day weekend.  We do not have a pool. However, we are blessed to be considered family and enjoy the pool privileges by two dear families.  We take advantage of it all summer long.  Plus, daddy being off work was a HUGE bonus....pictures to come later.

Yesterday was the start to our week.  So after my kids were up and going for the day, I went to get my shower and spend some quiet (MUST HAVE) moments in God's Word.

I must admit I just wasn't feeling it.

I wanted my time with God to be cut and dry.  I wanted Him to speak a desperately needed word over my heart.

He chose not to.

Instead He spoke something that I didn't quite get.  And let me just say...that is His business. He doesn't waste anything. 

The scripture was out of John and it left me scratching my head.  Sometimes this happens to me.  I try not to get bothered that I can't quite capture the application of God's words.  Instead I try to trust that He will help me understand it in His time and when I am ready.

It also helps me to really understand that my God has everything figured out even if I don't.  AND He isn't bothered by my questions...

A dear friend gave me a quote one time that I have never forgotten.  We could all use a healthier perspective on the BIG-ness of God.  "If God were small enough to understand, He would not be big enough to worship."

In truth this makes me happy.  I like knowing that He has options and possibilities I have never even dreamed of before.  Don't you?

Anyway, back to my scripture reading....I walked away a little bummed that my expectations weren't met.  I had wanted something to carry me through the day.  Instead I pondered the different things that the scripture could possibly mean or not. 

As days often do....it passed by quickly.

I had fixed the kids dinner plates and called them to come eat.  As Zeke and Ava began to sing their prayer to God....He spoke to me.

I hear in the background.

God is great.  God is good.
Let us thank Him for our food.
By His hands we all are fed.
Thank you, Lord, for daily bread.  Amen.

God settled upon me with the first two phrases, "God is great.  God is good."

It is a declaration of what we know to be true.  Not what we always feel.....

Right there in my green kitchen He quieted me with His love.  If you have experienced it then you know.  Nothing had changed but everything had changed.  His presence was near.  He interrupted my routine with the reality of Himself.

Regardless of my questions, circumstances, fretting, or disappointment, the truth remains that He is great and good.  Nothing changes that.

My puzzling questions over my morning's scripture just faded away.  He is great.  He is good.

He will work it out.

That may mean that my questions go unanswered for a while.

But I can still KNOW His greatness and His goodness.  I'll settle for that instead.

Speaking of His goodness I am happily celebrating 14 years of marriage to Shep today.

I would say yes all over again.

I would choose to love, honor, and cherish him all over again.

Definitely.





No comments: