Friday, May 4, 2012

Our Duty to Darkness

I have never really liked the dark.

Ever since I was a little girl I would swear to you that bad things lurked in the shadows.  Even now that I am all grown up...I am not so sure that I was wrong.

We live, move, work, play, and see in the physical realm.  BUT the Bible I believe in teaches just as emphatically about a spiritual realm that exists.  A realm where good and evil do battle.  Unfortunately our eyes aren't adjusted to see all of it for now.  But that doesn't mean it isn't very real.

Ephesians 6:10 says, "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

I think that is pretty clear. 

Did you notice the word "dark"?  It describes this world that we find ourselves living in. I would bet you are like me and prefer not to think of our world as dark.  But that doesn't change the fact that it is. Despite blue skies, colorful flowers, green trees, turquoise waters, and views that inspire....this world is dark.

As believers in Christ Jesus we have a duty to this darkness.

BRING IN THE LIGHT!!

Our Savior is light; in him there is no darkness at all. (1 Jn. 1:5)

God has recently been answering a prayer of mine.  I find myself surrounded in a bubble of people just like me.  They think like me.  They worship like me.  They hold to the same truths as me.  They have very similar goals to my own.  They strive to live in God's light and obey His will.  (Not knocking these folks at all...these people are vital in my growth with Christ.  They spur me on in the faith.  They provide accountability, protection, and encouragement.)

So I have begun to pray, "Lord, I know the darkness is out there.  But I keep myself surrounded by light.  I like it this way.  But, I am not lighting up anyone's darkness.  I don't even know people personally living in darkness.  Will you give me opportunities to bring Your light into someone's darkness?"

Dangerous prayer people, but one I believe He delights to answer.

The opportunities have come and now I have a choice.  Do I fear this darkness and continue to blend my light with the light of others?

Or

Do I dare throw cowardice off and go to battle with His light?

God has some awesome things in His Word to say about darkness and light. I am depending on these words as I enter dark places...

-Even in darkness light dawns for the upright...Ps. 112:4
-He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom; and broke away their chains. Ps. 107:14
-Even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.  Ps. 139:12
-I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand.  I will keep you and make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles, to open the eyes that are blind, to free captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness. Isaiah 42: 6-7
-For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves...Colossians 1:13

There are so many more verses that speak of God as light.  I just highlighted a few that I am claiming in my current circumstances.

I don't know about you but if you belong to Jesus Christ then you may be able to remember the days before you knew Him personally.  The days without hope.  The days of darkness.

I have been gloriously rescued, graciously loved, relentlessly pursued and lavishly restored in His Light.

Let's take that and run.

Those sitting in the darkness are waiting.....


1 comment:

Amy Grace said...

You're right sister, He's calling us to spread His message. We need to protect ourselves by wearing the armor of God, cover each other with prayers, and fight the good fight. It is time for us to step up our game! The spiritual battlefield isn't a box. It's real to me. That's where I fight. Take it there...Come on let's take it to the next level. My question, Are you ready for this? Yeah, Come On!