Monday, May 21, 2012

Breaking it down...

Anytime God brings a scripture across my path more than once in two days by two different people who happen to be talking about two different things...well, I revisit it again on my own to try and break down what my Lord might be trying to say to me.

Matthew 22:37-39 "Jesus replied, ' You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment.  A second is equally important: ' Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Being raised as a church girl, this piece of scripture rolls of my tongue pretty easily.

But do I live it?
Do I really even know what it is asking of me?

I looked up heart, soul, and mind on my computer.  Here is breaking it down...

Do I love Him with my reasoning?
Do I love Him with what I think?
Do I love Him with what I feel?
Do I love Him with what I will?
Do I love Him with my perceptions?
Do I love Him with my judgements?
Do I love Him with my passion?


It becomes rehearsed to say that we should love our Lord with our heart, soul and mind.  But these questions aren't as practiced to me. 

Somehow I want my reasoning, my thoughts, my feelings, my will, my perceptions, my judgements, and my passions to remain my own. 

Yet these are the very things at the core of our heart, mind, and soul. 

He wants us to love Him with these.  The hard things.

We might think we are pleasing Him with vague generalities.  "Yes, Lord, I love you with all my heart."  But He knows...He loves if we really love Him with all of our heart, mind, and soul or not.  

Kind of makes me wish I hadn't broken this one down at all.....



No comments: