Friday, May 18, 2012

We forget

Today is the last day of school for my girls.

Summertime is here.

I have not held back from voicing the nagging fears and insecurities I have about summer.  But...I press on.  God is good in spite of what I dread or fear.

So today I didn't wait until the end of the day to break open my bible.  I started the day out right.  (This has nothing to do with me.  Andrea didn't want to....but the Holy Spirit inside me won this time.)

As  I read my devotion I knew the Author of those ancient words wanted to remind me of something....because I do forget.

2 Corinthians 1:8-9 says, "we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia.  We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life.  Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death.  But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead."


See.  We forget don't we?

Do you have hardships?
Are you suffering?
Are you under great pressure that is far beyond your own ability to endure?
Do you despair of even your life?

He allows blistering circumstances to gently pursue us and remind us that we cannot and must not rely on ourselves...but upon Him.

After all, He raises the dead.

Don't you love it that the writer of these verses included those 3 little powerful words?  Almost like a tag on the end....a reminder of sorts.

Maybe the writer needed to remind himself.

He could have stopped three words before that and no one would have missed a thing.

But I forget too.

And  I am so glad he added them to the end of the phrase. 

Not only do I need to rely on Him but I need to KNOW he raises the dead!

Not past tense either.

He still does.

He delights to bring life anywhere His Presence goes.  He is life.

Don't forget and be encouraged....He raises the dead!





No comments: