Monday, May 14, 2012

They make me a momma

 On June 11, 2002 the title of "mom" was added to my identity.  I had long since been a daughter, sister, and friend.  I had been walking newly in the role of "wife" for a few years.  But in all of these relationships I was mainly responsible for myself and my own actions.  It wasn't until I held Caroline that I felt the weight of true responsibility.
 I held this little life in my hands.  I instantly felt love.  I instantly wanted to nurture and protect. 
 Ava and Zeke came along three and six years later and those same feelings were there.  Probably even more so because I was older and maybe a bit more mature.
 I am not a great mom.  I wouldn't even say I am a good mom.  But...I am a trying mom.  I desire for my kids to see an authentic woman who loves the Lord with all of her heart.  I pray that they see me on my knees in prayer, carrying my scripture cards around, and loving my time in God's Holy Word.  I don't necessarily want to hide my mistakes but show that God redeems our frailties.  I hope to teach them about grace, mercy, kindness, discipline, perseverance, humility, forgiveness and above all else, love.
 I pray that they see me being crazy for their daddy.  I hope they hear me building him up and supporting him always.  I desire that they learn about marriage from watching us work at our own.  I believe they will thrive in the security of their parents being in love. 
 This "mom" thing is so hard.  I don't think I will ever have it down.  But each day is an opportunity to enjoy, cherish, and take seriously the lives of those entrusted in my care.  Each one holds such special gifts and qualities that are unique just to them.  I love watching God shape and mold them as they grow.  My job is to direct them to Jesus every time I can.  When they experience joy...praise Him.  When they experience hurt...trust Him.  When they experience doubt...believe Him.  When they experience loss...cry to Him.  When they experience victory...give glory to Him.  When they lose their way...turn back to Him.  When they give in to sin...repent to Him.  When decisions need to be made...ask Him.


Last of all, I want to thank this awesome lady.  God allowed her to be my momma.  For  the past 34 years she has given me wisdom, encouragement, boundaries, and a trail-blazing hunger for God.  She is in ministry to God through mentoring women.  She saw a great need in the church for those women who were babies in Christ to have someone more mature in the Lord to walk with them.  She has written and designed a program that does this very thing.  She didn't just write it and stand back to let others organize.  She gets in there and mentors several women at a time.  Investing in lives....letting the power of Christ move, change, redeem, and restore them for His glory.
Before she ever mentored a single woman ....she was entrusted with me....a little woman in training.  She has lived out her faith fiercely every single day.  She is not perfect and she has messed up plenty of times.  But she is real and relevant with Jesus.  I adore her and admire her so much.  And...she is my biggest fan!

If anyone reading this blog would love to know more about my mom's ministry...please check out her link. Many churches are realizing the importance of mentoring and would love to know more about how to implement it.  She is amazing at what she does.  I will include it here. http://www.newlegacyministries.org/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My pretty little girl...Andrea Raye.
What a privilege to call you my daughter and the wonderful mother of three of my seven precious grandchildren.

God granted all my requests concerning you as I carried you in my womb. In these days I watch as He transforms you into the image of Christ. What a God and what a daughter of the King and this lesser womam. I love you dearly! Your momma...