Monday, May 7, 2012

My zit and some sweet little feet..

Usually my blogs are heavy in subject matter.  Today I decided to take a little detour from that...

Enjoy it because if you have followed for very long you know that I can't stay away from the heavy stuff for long.  (My mom and I tease one another that we analyze~ til we paralyze.)

I felt Ava's little eyes penetrating into a deep gaze on my face this past Saturday.  I said nothing but waited for her to speak.  Finally she asked, "Mommy, what is that?"  By "that" she was pointing to a gargantuan size zit that had popped up seemingly overnight.  

I replied, "It is a zit, Ava."

That seemed to satisfy her interest for the moment.

The next day my blemish seemed bigger and darker in color (as they often do when all the junk has been squeezed out for the umpteenth time).  I caught her looking at it several times during the day but she said nothing.  I was impressed with her resolve to hold back....although I see we have some work to do when it comes to staring.

She could no longer hold back in the late afternoon as we got ready to head back to church.

"Mommy, I don't like your zit.  It looks like those things that are on Nanny McPhee's face." 

Well, if you haven't seen Nanny McPhee (the movie) then you don't know that Ava is referring to the enormous hairy warts that the character has on her face. 

Nice to know that my zit resembles a huge, hairy wart.

Today I got a few moments with Zeke in our hammock swing.  He, too, noticed my big zit but it didn't seem to offend him the way it did his sister.

He and I snuggled together and I caught myself studying this little boy.... this little man in the making.

He and his daddy are the only two fellas that can make me swoon.  But they can.

I looked at his buzzed light brown hair...his green eyes...and then my eyes landed on those chubby feet.  I thought about how those feet have changed so much just shy of four years.  I remember when he found his feet and tried to eat his toes as a baby.  I remember watching him crawl and and push to stand.  Now it seems like he never stands still.  And then I wondered where those feet would end up taking him in the future.

(uh oh...I promised not to get heavy here......)

I prayed that his feet would follow Christ Jesus every single day of his life.

How much pain would we avoid if we just followed the One who knows how to lead us into righteousness and away from sin that so easily entangles?

Then God gave me a sweet thought of the way He looks at me.  How He delights to see my growth in the same way I see my little Zeke's.  

I am His child after all.

And He has seen me when I didn't use my feet at all. 

He remembers when I first starting finding my way...
He strengthened me to crawl, pull up, and stand upon His Word.
He guides my footsteps upon His path...for He lights my way.
and......
He now urges my feet to go after the broken and hurting and show them the way to Him.

Psalm 17:5 "My steps have held fast to your paths; my feet have not slipped."







No comments: