Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Hands held high...

This past weekend was extraordinary.  Shep's parents kept Zeke and Ava and my parents kept Caroline.  We were kid free from Friday afternoon til Sunday afternoon.  We used the time to celebrate our 14 year anniversary...and we didn't waste a single moment.

I don't have any pictures uploaded yet but I will do a picture post soon.

Children are no doubts gifts from God but the constant in this home is our marriage.  It must be guarded and tended continuously.  Shep planned some surprises for me...and the best one was a motorcycle ride for the entire day on Saturday.  Other than a really sore rump, it was an absolute blast!

Shep sold his motorcycle a while back so it had been a while since we had felt the wind in our faces.  A friend offered his bike for the day and we gratefully accepted.

I think we most enjoyed the relaxed pace.  We missed the kids terribly.  We talked about them. We prayed for them.  We laughed at the things they do and say.  But we also took inventory as a couple.  We laughed.  We longed.  We remembered and we looked ahead.  It was such a blessed time with the best man I know. 

Now that the week has started I miss him already. 

But life goes on.  There are appointments to schedule, meals to prepare, and plans to make. 

Yesterday I came home from a mission trip meeting at about 9:00 pm.  I couldn't get my brain to slow down.  It had been a long and pretty productive day.  I had gone to the doctor (double ear and sinus infection)and the pharmacy, scheduled Zeke's 4 yr. well check, taken items back to the library, paid bills, and taken the kids for haircuts. 

I could tell Shep was beat and ready to hit the sack pretty early.  I just couldn't slow down.  I was thinking of all the things that still needed to be done.  In addition to that, God has graciously allowed me to minister to some folks and I felt pretty burdened for them as well.  I knew I needed some "knee time" with the Lord.
I got out of bed and took my devotion book and bible into the living room. 

This room serves as the heart of our house.  It is our gathering place.  But last night it was quiet and dark.  I got down on my knees and read my devotion.  I willed my brain to slow down and soak in the powerful words.  It still wasn't working.  The scripture was out of Hebrews chapter 13 verse 5.  It talks about how our God will never leave us or forsake us.

I just sat there.

I felt the urge to lift my hands toward heaven.

I am not sure if it was a sign of surrender, gratefulness, worship, or desperation.  Maybe it was a mixture of all of them.

But it was right.

I stayed that way for a long time.  It felt as though my posture toward Him was saying things that I couldn't articulate myself.

I knew He heard and understood.  He was there.  Because He doesn't leave.  He doesn't forsake. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog!!!! It is apparent God is calling you to lift up the weary and brokenhearted He brings across your path.

He often answers our silent expressions and uplifted hands through the gentle uplifting of our heart.

Love...Mom