Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Snuggled Up Side of God

Recently our youngest child, Zeke, brought his little 5 year old self to my side.

It was late.

We had already done the bedtime routine with him.  He should have been dozing and dreaming at this point.

But he wasn't.

He was scared and wanted me or Shep to come chase the invisible monsters away.

As I followed him back to his room and tucked him in I heard the words that most mommas can't resist from their little boys, "Mommy will you lay will me for a little bit"?

What is a momma to do?

So I climbed into his bed and snuggled up close.  I literally could touch the back of his little neck with the tip of my nose.

He smelled like Zeke.  I listened to him breathe in and out.  I stroked his hair and just soaked up this time in his little life that seems to be flying past.

Suddenly God spoke to my heart.

He simply said, "I hold you close when you hurt too."

All at once I realized that as much as I love my boy and as much as I want to be snuggled in close to keep him from fear....my heavenly Daddy feels that AND MORE for me.

Do we really picture Him that way?

Close, snuggled in so close that His divine ear is touching our skin.

I honestly don't think I do.

But that night I did.

His love washed over me in a new way.

Lying next to my little boy somehow amplified the meaning of how grand His love is.

God snuggles in close when I fear.  God holds me tight when the storms rage all around.  God takes my hand and tucks me back in when I am on edge and feeling overwhelmed. God sings songs over me in the night.

 This is God really.  Why do we make Him something different?

He tells us how to love as parents to our children.

Why would He do it any other way?

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,  may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.  Eph. 3:17b-18

No comments: