Friday, August 23, 2013

A Rare Rescue

God showed me two (of the many) different ways He chooses to act on behalf of those He loves.

The first way was in Psalms 18.  It totally lit my fire.

I thought, "Heck yes.  This is how I want God to rescue me from my troubles."

Chapter 18 of Psalms describes God hearing David's cry for help.  It speaks of God being angry on his behalf.  "The earth trembled and quaked, and the foundations of the mountains shook; they trembled because he was angry.  Smoke rose from his nostrils; consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it.  He parted the heavens and came down;"(v.7-8)

I mean this is the stuff of movies.  Hollywood can't touch it.

It goes on to detail that God personally rescued David.  "He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.  He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me....He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.  (v.16-17, 19)

I just think of God acting this way on my behalf and it makes me flat out giddy.

Kind of like when you were in school and you had the big bad older brother to brag about in case anyone even thought of messing with you.

The prideful part of me breaks loose and just wants God to show off His limitless power.  I mean if oceans, thunder, lightning, and clouds obeyed me I would command them often....probably just to show off.

So...we are back to why He is God and I am not. (grin)

There was a second and different type of rescue that I studied in God's word this week.  And let me just say that it is the kind that I relate to more in my life.  It is still a rescue but a little less grand in my mind.

Acts chapter 27 recounts the story of Paul's voyage by ship to Rome.  He wasn't on board this ship for luxury.  He was actually a prisoner.  Verse 13 mentions "a gentle south wind that begins to blow."  By verse 14 we see that this gentle wind has escalated into full on hurricane winds. 

Can you imagine?

Being trapped on a ship out a sea during a hurricane like storm that lasts for days on end.  No thank you.

From the account in scripture it sounds like there was complete chaos and desperation for the Captain and  crew.  Verses 15 through 27 give details of cargo being thrown overboard, passing ropes under the ship itself to hold it together, and even giving up all hope of being saved at all.

Where is God?

His ambassador, Paul, is aboard this ship as a prisoner bound for Rome.  God, who commands nature, allows this terrible frightening storm to batter the ship and terrify those on board for days on end.

They stop eating.  They are depressed.  They see no stars to guide them.  They completely lose heart.

I think that this would be the perfect time for God to swoop down in some Almighty power and show them all who is Boss.

But instead he sends an angel to Paul in the night.  (Not that this isn't awesome but how about help instead of a messenger?)  His message is simple "God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.  So keep up your courage, men."(v.24-25)

This rescue would be nothing more than escaping with their lives.

The boat would fall apart.  The crew would have to swim or grab hold of planks of the ship in order to make it to land and safety.  But no one would die due to the storm.  However it must be weathered.

I don't know about you but I feel like I am holding tight to a plank and praying for solid ground. 

I want desperately for God's rescue to be grand and supernatural in my life most days.  Some times He does do this.  But usually a fight of my will must occur.  A storm has to be weathered.  Faith in the provision of a floating plank may be all I get....but it is still provision. 

God is huge.  His ways are mighty and miraculous.  But so many times in my life His methods are incredibly mundane and difficult. 

I am so thankful for His Word.  We get to hear grand gestures of His grace like busting heaven open for David.  But we also revel in the experiences of those like Paul, who ended up floating on a plank for His Savior. 

I love Him so much.

I lose heart a lot these days.

But I press on.....I persevere....floating on my provided plank of faith.




No comments: