Saturday, August 3, 2013

God~ At Ground Level

We enjoyed a night of bufflo wings, pizza, and togetherness as a family last night.  It was a welcome change of pace. 

We have been inundated with people to see, places to be, and things to do lately.  A night in with the family was just what the doctor ordered.

It was Ava's turn to pick out the movie for us to watch.  She chose "Facing the Giants".

I am sure that we have watched this movie umpteen times.  But the powerful message never gets old.  If we will stand in faith...God will amaze us and others.

I can quote lines from this movie.  I cry at all of the same heart-tugging moments every time we view it.  But last night God showed me a different side of Himself.

There is a scene when the head coach is trying to show the leader of his team that his attitude will influence the rest of the players.  He blindfolds his player, places a teammate on his back and has him crawl on his arms and feet toward the 50 yard line.  Only he ends up pushing him past the 50 yard line all the way to the endzone.

The scene is so powerful.

The player is exhausted.  The player is yelling out that he is tired and doesn't think he can make it. 

But the coach never quits encouraging him. 

In fact he gets down on the ground in front of the weary player and shouts loudly the whole way:

"You can do this."
"Don't quit on me now."
"I know this hurts."
"Give me all you have got."
"Only 30 more steps."
"You can do this."
"Don't quit."
"Don't quit."
"Push through the pain."
"20 more steps to go."
" You can do this."
"I know you have it in you."
" I know this is hard, but you are strong."
C'mon, just 10 more steps."


The player is exhausted before he even begins this exercise.  But the coach knows that this player needs to see and experience the strength he really has inside.  The only way to show him is to push him.

The coach never backs off. 

He encourages him every painstaking step of the way.

He pushes him to limits that the player thinks he can't handle.

The best part is that he blindfolds the player so that he can only listen to the voice of the coach instead of what his eyes may tell him.

As I watched this scene I found myself pulling for the player. 

I found myself identifying with him a little bit.  Weary.  Burdened.  Staring ahead into the unknown.

But then I saw God. He is our beloved Coach.

He is with us at ground level.  As we crawl, laboring under our burden, fighting for each step of faith He is there faithfully cheering us on.

He desires to prove to us that He that can do what we think is impossible.

The idea of God pushing me to do what He knows I can do sparked a light inside of me.  It made me want to go that grueling second mile.  It makes the sweat and tears bearable somehow. 

Our Coach is fighting for us.

He sees the end when we cannot.

He is surrounded by Light when our way is dark.

He has placed each obstacle with an intended purpose when we question His ways.

He is near to you.  He is in the muck and the mire.  He is in the wilderness.  He is in the chaos. 

Listen when your eyes deceive you....know He is there.  Know He intercedes when you can't pray anything else. 

Persevere. 
Keep going.
Strive and push forward.

Your Coach knows you can.

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all."
2 Corinthians 4:17






No comments: