Thursday, July 16, 2015

My Problem with Sin

God has given me the awesome privilege to counsel and mentor ladies in our community and in our church.

The honor to pray for others and walk beside them is precious to me.  

Just recently I was discussing the only biblical answer to sexual sin with a sweet gal.  I think she may have been shocked by my answer but it could not line up more with God's Word.  

When in a precarious situation the best thing to do is RUN. (2 Timothy 2:22)

FLEE.

GET THE HECK OUT OF DODGE.

God doesn't tell us to get down and pray about it.
He doesn't tell us to try to explain our position and get everyone to agree.

He says....GET OUT OF THERE.

Why?  

Because our flesh wants to sin.

Here is the problem with my sin.

I don't want to think of it as sin. 

That seems entirely too harsh.  Too heavy.  Too dirty.  

I would prefer to think of it as an issue.  A hardship.  A struggle.  A problem.

Those words seems to clean it up a bit.

Unfortunately I can call it whatever I want to but the One that matters calls it sin.  So SIN it must be.

In recent days as our surrounding culture falls prey to more and more moral decline it is essential that I not lose sight of my own part in this.

2 Chronicles 7:14 has become the go-to verse for perilous times.  

"Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land."


Somehow we buy into the lie that becoming a Christian means we are no longer going to sin.

WRONG.

We even act like we can hang out with whoever we want, listen to whatever we want, watch whatever we want and somehow be immune from the temptations of this world.

WRONG.

If we do not recognize our capacity to sin then we certainly won't recognize our need for the Holy Spirit.  

The struggle against sin is life long.  
We don't get the luxury of a break until we are called home to heaven.

But victory is ours for the taking.

As badly as I may want to sin.....I don't have to.  

I am not a slave to sin any longer.

So here is what the Holy Spirit has been preaching to me.

"Andrea...you are called by My Name.  Walk humbly. We both know that you are capable of horrible things. Give me credit for everything.  Any good trait you exhibit is from ME.  Trust Me and not your desires.  Seek Me constantly for your heart will lead you astray.  Turn away...RUN from your wicked ways."

As I stare at these words my flesh wants to recoil.

Who is God to speak to me like that?  
I am a good person.

These thoughts and more can begin take root if I give them any chance to.  

But I know better.

This is pride.  

This is SIN.

See how quickly it happens?!?

Oh Lord forgive me.

His Words are truth and life.  We can make a profound influence around us by admitting our part in wickedness and turning from it.

When others see a real Christian admitting real sin it does something.  It speaks.  It points to our Savior.

When we are prideful.  Admit it. Repent. Turn.
When we are arrogant.  Admit it. Repent. Turn.
When we cheat. Admit it. Repent. Turn.
When we lie. Admit it. Repent. Turn.
When we lose our temper. Admit it. Repent. Turn.

This is daily.  
Maybe even hourly.  

He will hear us when we do. He will come and heal and restore.  

What better thing is there?

If I will get serious about my own sin and humbly walk before God and seek Him~ the world can't help but notice.

He is contagious.
He is better than any sin that tempts me.

The world wants to see authentic faith.  

Dealing with sin is a part of that.

Be a breath of fresh air to the world around you.  

Be real about your sin and brag on Jesus.  







No comments: