Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Through Smoke

Exodus 19:17-19
Then Moses led the people out of the camp to meet with God , and they stood at the foot of the mountain. Mount Sinai was covered with smoke, because the LORD descended on it in fire. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, the whole mountain trembled violently, and the sound of the trumpet grew louder and loud. Then Moses spoke and called out and the voice of God answered him.

I don't know how this passage of the Bible hits you but I am intrigued.

I was listening to a song I love called "Through Smoke". The group that sings it is Needtobreathe and they are amazing. I highly suggest you check them out.

We are taught to stay away from smoke and fire. We are taught to fear it...respect it...flee from it...and warn others to move away. We know it can damage and destroy.

But have you thought about the Consuming Fire that is your God?
Do you fear Him?
Do you respect Him?
Do you flee from Him?

I always love to focus on the lighter and more easy attributes of God...you know the ones: grace, mercy, gentleness, kindness, goodness, and love.

However, more equally important parts of Him are power, might, justice, holiness, and an awe-inspiring Creator who is a Consuming Fire.

My life is fraught with things I just don't understand.

I question my faith constantly.
I falter and doubt at any moment of weakness.
I read the Word and wonder where the God of the miraculous is hiding.

Could it be that He is the arsonist behind this raging fire of doubt and confusion that is my life?
Will I still seek Him through all of this smoke?

I want to run and hide. I want to cover my head and get away from it. I want to lay low until the smoke clears and I can see again. The haze and heaviness makes it so hard to see and my judgement is skewed.

If He is the fire....then there is no real danger.

If I remember it correctly there were a few fellas who were thrown in a fiery furnace and their clothes never even smelled of smoke.

Anyway, I am rambling but this is good for me. This song ministered to me...here are some of the lyrics.....


Through Smoke

Before the truth will come to fill our lives
The wool comes down in the form of fire
And when the answers and the truth have cut their ties
Will you still find Me?
Will you still see Me---through smoke.

I was born in a house in a town just like your own
I was raised to believe in the power of the unknown
Cause when the answers and the truth take different sides
Will you still find me
Will you still see me---through smoke.

When their whispers have painted pictures that
Make you doubt what you once believed in
Paper stories that hide the glory
To keep us searching
Through smoke.

Who do you believe when you can't get through
When everything you know seems so untrue
When I'm lost in a place I thought I knew
Give me some way that I might find you.....through smoke.



Exodus 20:18-21
When the people saw the thunder and the lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled in fear. They stayed at a distance and said to Moses, "Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die."
Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning."
The people remained at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness where God was.

No comments: