Sunday, May 9, 2010

For me and for them...

It has been a wonderful Mother's day.

I woke up to my good looking and devoted man and my three cherished children.

I am blessed indeed.

I just want to thank God for what He has done through my own mother. She is some kind of woman.

Strong willed, tenacious, courageous, solid, funny, and ever seeking her God are just a few of the ways I would describe my mom.

During my teenage years my friends would seek my mom's counsel because she seems to exude wisdom and discernment.

I have always known her to love and seek after God. But, something changed with her when my daughter Caroline was born. It shook all of us to the core. The trauma and changes were so heavy to our family. We were all so heart broken and stunned.

But mom.....stepped it up.

She began running toward God in a way we never had.
She cried out to Him like never before.
She realized that she needed more of Him to live each day.
She prayed more.
She studied more.
She memorized more.
She believed more.

She did this because she was compelled to do so. But she also did this for me.

Only God knew how heavily I would need her faith to feed my own.

Only God knew that I would want for myself what I saw in her.

Only God knew that a mother's love could hold her grown daughter's hand through some terrible days that would lie ahead.

Only God knew that my love for Bible study would be learned and caught from hers.

Only God knew that her total surrender to Him would make me pursue her legacy.

As I watch my mom now.....almost 8 years after Caroline's birth....I see God all over her life.

She has written a Bible study, designed, written and led a women's mentoring program, and is now working on her second Bible study. She is not content to retire and become a church lady. She works tirelessly to see other women grow in their walk with God.

I have benefitted so much from her example.

I want to do the same for them...for my children.

I don't want them to know and remember me for :

my cooking skills
my shopping skills
my teaching skills
my playing skills
my singing skills
my reading skills

I want them to crave what I have.

I want them to see me love Jesus more than anything else.

I want them to see me turn the other check when someone wrongs me...
I want them to see me forgive someone who has hurt me even when that person doesn't ask to be forgiven...
I want them to see me giving grace and withholding judgement...
I want them to see me on my knees in prayer...
I want them to see me carrying around my scripture cards....
I want them to see me lay my hands on someone and pray for someone in need...
I want them to see me giving to those in need...

I want to leave them a legacy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do I put into words the strong emotions consuming me at this very moment. My heart is overwhelmed by your description of this lesser woman. I am humbled to tears and reminded that you were a gift to me from God. I am grateful for the privilege of being your mom. I love you more than words can express....

Momma

Tess said...

You are Leaving a Legacy.. that is for sure. As for your Mother, Nancy...I couldn't agree more with everything you have said of her just from what I HAVE seen. How Blessed you both are! Happy Mothers Day to you both!