Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Unprecedented attack

I knew when we said "yes" to God about Shep running for State Representative that we would open ourselves up for criticism, gossip, embarrassment, uncertainty, and all the other stuff that goes along with it.

I was NOT prepared for the attack that the enemy would wield. I guess I thought that the campaign stuff, our issues with Caroline, and the economic struggle would be enough to quench the enemy's thirst for us.

Was I ever wrong??

The weight of all of this feels so heavy that breathing seems difficult.

In our prayer time last night we were like two little kids huddled together talking to our daddy and telling on everyone and everything that hurts and overwhelms us. It was a sweet time. There was no religious pretense....just two of God's kids begging Him to show favor, blessing, and guidance. We laid bare our old fears and new ones. We asked more questions than should be allowed. We praised His name in spite of our mounting circumstances and bragged on His faithfulness in the midst of past storms.

He is faithful!
He is in control!

My soul finds rest in Joshua 1 today.

"Be strong and courageous....
Be strong and courageous...
Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Do not let this Book of Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it.
Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you?
Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

We Christians want neat, ordered and very safe lives. We actually expect God to give that to us. We think that "safe" is part of His plan and to be dealing with fear is wrong.

Why would He use such strong words like "courageous" and "terrified" if He meant for us to never experience them?

He did expect us to experience them. He knew we would.

His calling on your life almost always guarantees some level of fear, doubt and uncertainty. It will be crazy scary. It can turn your "normal" upside down.

God walk with me today just as you did Joshua.

Left to myself....I am a heap of fear and discouragement, terrified too.

I know that you can literally change every bit of that.

Help your little warrior today. Give me courage. Give me faith.

1 comment:

Craig said...

Donna and I love you two!!
That's all.
Simple message!