Monday, February 21, 2011

First Skinned Knees of the Season...a God lesson for me


After some pretty brutal cold weather for us wimpy Georgians, we have gotten to enjoy the first tastes of Spring-like weather.

It has been glorious.

For someone who loves sunshine and being outside for no other reason than to let it bathe my face in warmth....I have loved it!

We have made it our business to be outside these last two weekends. (I will post some pics soon...)

Anyway, Ava and Zeke were playing outside and chasing a ball this past Saturday. It got away from them so Ava went to retrieve it. As she ventured down a landscaped slope, she slipped on the pine straw and knee-planted into our neighbor's driveway.

Shep, Caroline and I were in the basement with the boat door open. Immediately we heard the screams.

I am amazed at how we know our kids and their cries. This was Ava's hurt cry....loud and strong...alarming and constant.

We scrambled to get to her. She had done it and done it good. Her pretty little face was stained with tears and the crying took a long time to subside.

These were no scrapes to be embarrassed about....these scrapes certainly won her some sympathy from us and I am sure some respect from her peers.

As I thought about my almost 6 year old girl and her super loud almost baby-like cries, I was fascinated about how pain can do that to us.

Now that she is older...she just doesn't cry much.

Whine......yes. But cry......no.

But this fall did it. This unexpected injury did her in. It sent her back to baby-like desperation. She was hurt and needed repairing. She wanted to cry. She wanted to be held.

As He normally does, God turned my thoughts toward Him and how He deals with me.

I thought about my own slip-ups. I am supposed to be maturing in my walk of faith. I should be getting stronger and more mature every day. I sometimes think that I am even immune to sudden pot holes in life that I may never see. I even get so self-righteous that I think I can handle any terrain no matter how slippery or uneven it may be.

Then it happens.

I fall.

Never saw it coming.

It hurts.

Spiritually skinned knees. Only surface wounds but still the pain is sharp and I kick myself for not knowing better....for not taking the time to study my pathway.

As I mature in Christ I focus on His will for my life. I want to hear His voice. I want to do BIG things for Him.

None of those things are bad but sometimes I don't address the things I deem to be small. Only they aren't small to Him.

Saturday evening I became overwhelmingly aware of a sin that I don't want to deal with.

You could safely say that God let me fall. I tripped on some roots of sin sticking up in my path. He thought it was time for me to deal with them. So He let me trip on them.

He let me hurt.

He let me bleed a little.


Un-forgiveness.

I hate even typing it. I really hate saying it. But it is so true.

I have a list of people who I haven't forgiven....really.

I am happy to say that once God got my attention enough for me to really see myself and what I have harbored inside of me~ I became sad over my sin.

The good kind of sad.

The kind that leads to brokenness and then repentance.


Job 4:4 "Your words have supported those who stumbled; you have strengthened faltering knees."

No comments: