Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Out of reverence

There are special people in my life that garner my love, loyalty, and attention just because of WHO they are.

For example...let's take my good-looking man. He could ask me to do just ask about anything and I would do it.

Why? Because he is my husband. My covenant partner. My other half that makes me whole.

If Caroline, Ava, or Zeke express needs in their lives I am gonna move things around to meet their needs (provided they are legit:)

Why? Because they are treasures to me. My children. Flesh of my flesh and bone of my bone.

If my family or close friends called on me for help or assistance in any way I would not hesitate to step in and give them what was needed.

Why? Because they are so valuable to me....priceless even. My life would be void in many ways without them.

A phrase in scripture jumped out at me today.

2 Corinthians 7:1 says, "....let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness OUT OF REVERENCE FOR GOD."

I have just told you that I will do just about anything for those I love deeply; but would I do the same for the One I claim to love more than all of the rest?

Just because of who He is....

God Almighty
My Creator
My Beginning
My End
My Comfort
My Savior
My Sacrifice
My Peace

and that is the very short list.

I am amazed how easily I show reverence for those I love and respect.

Here in the deep South we even pull off the side of the road and stop the car when a funeral procession passes by.

Why? Out of reverence for the family of the deceased.

But that is easy to do... makes me feel good and others get to see me doing it.

It appeals to my sense of pride and ego.

God is asking that we will purify ourselves of the things we allow to contaminate in secret. Maybe when no one is looking.

Out of reverence for Him.

Am I game?

Are you??

No comments: