Friday, July 27, 2012

Allergy shots and a last update from St. Vincent

OK, Andrea will be home tomorrow night, so this will probably be my last post.  I wanted to share a few more St. Vincent pictures with you and also share something that God talked to me about this week.

First the photos:

I haven't heard, yet, how last night went with presenting the Gospel to the parents, but I'm believing that God answered our prayers and that they had a great response!

I also wanted to talk a little about allergy shots. My son has pretty serious seasonal allergies.  He doesn’t struggle as much as some children that I know, but it impacts his life.  In the spring, he takes four different allergy medicines plus eye drops.  Some of the medicines that he needs affect his mood and make him more likely to cry.  So because of all that, we started allergy shots this past week.  And it’s been a lesson for me about God.  My son DOES NOT want to get shots.  So he tried to convince me that “he likes his allergies,” “he likes taking medicine,” “he is fine because he can breathe through his mouth.”  I told him that we are believing that God will use these shots to help him get better.  In 2-6 months, he should no longer need allergy medicine.  In 1-5 years, he won’t need the shots any longer and won’t be allergic to everything that grows outside (OK, an exaggeration, but not much).  He will be free from those allergies.  Able to go outside without worrying that he can’t breathe later or that we will have to ramp up his medicines because of the season of the year.  However, he can’t trust that the shots will help.  He does not want to endure the pain, which is relatively short term, for future freedom.  And God showed me how I don’t want to endure short term (in light of eternity) pain to be free.  I say that I want to be free to live the life that Jesus died to give me, but lots of times I complain about the pain that comes.  I ask God to take away the pain and say that I am happy like I was – spiritually weak – instead of letting God make me stronger.  Truthfully, it isn’t easy for me either to give my little boy shots that he hates.  Starting today, I do the shots myself, but God is using this situation, too, I’m sure!

Posted by Deana.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been intelligent for hours and I haven't gone through such awesome stuff. can-c