Sunday, July 22, 2012

Guest Post Number One



Hey!  I can’t figure out how to give myself access to log on to Andrea’s blog while she is gone, so I’m logged in as Andrea.  So today’s post says “posted by Andrea,” but my name is Deana.  Some of you might know me, but many of you may not.  Andrea asked me to post on her blog while she is gone. 

First of all, please be praying for Andrea in St. Vincent.  Our group from Bartow County arrived safely in St. Vincent and is doing fine.  Many of our folks didn’t have their luggage when they arrived and just received it today.  We still have a few folks down there with no luggage.  In addition to the inconvenience of not having their luggage, the VBS supplies for St. Vincent are packed in the bags.  Please don’t misunderstand me – God can provide anything they need even if their bags don’t arrive.  However, please be praying for their luggage to get in their hands.  Also, pray for the men, women, and children that will be reached with God’s Word this week.  Please pray, too, for the power and fruit of the Holy Spirit in our group.  Hopefully, we will start hearing good reports of their work in St. Vincent soon! 

If you know me, you know that I love to read.  Again, though, you may not know me at all.  One book that I read in the last year changed my perspective on spiritual warfare.  The book is called The Devil Goes to Church by David Butts.  In the introduction to the book, the author quotes another book called The Sacred Romance by John Eldredge and Brent Curtis.  The quote is below:

"Satan's desire is to keep us away from communion with God.  He doesn't care how he does it.  God's intention, on the other hand is to use spiritual warfare to draw us into deeper communion with himself.  Satan's device is to isolate us and wear us out obsessing about what he has done and what he will do next.  God desires to use the enemy's attacks to remove the obstacles between ourselves and him, to reestablish our dependency on him as sons and daughters in a much deeper way.  Once we understand that, the warfare we are in begins to feel totally different.  It is not really even about Satan anymore, but about communion with God and abiding in Jesus as the source of life.  The whole experience begins to feel more like a devotional. (p.120)"

I thought this was profound and it changes the way I think.  God lets Satan attack me so that He can force me to turn to Him.  To show me that He will fight my battles for me and that I am powerless on my own.  This perspective, though, makes me feel like it's an act of love - God drawing me to Him - instead of an attack when God doesn't seem to be paying attention.  This perspective is changing the way I go through my day. I love it!

I just wanted to share it with you. 

Posted by Deana.  : )

No comments: