Friday, July 13, 2012

Lighten up!

I leave for my second (ever) mission trip next Friday, July 20th. I will be returning to the same church I got to minister to last year.  I am excited but there are other, more pressing, adjectives that describe my state of being at the moment.

Overwhelmed, frenzied, frantic, and obesessed top my list....how is that for an "about to be missionary"?

There is just A LOT to do.  Not only do I need to prepare for our work in St. Vincent; I will be leaving my husband and children behind.  They will be in capable, caring and qualified hands.  They just won't be mine.  So I am trying to get the pantry stocked, clothes washed, bags packed, lists and reminders made and errands run before heading off to another country.

On top of all of that I will be gone on my birthday and yes, I am being quite the baby about it. 

I expect all who are near and dear to shower me with love on that day( my family totally set me up for this...birthday were always a BIG deal in our home).  Unfortunately, I will be thousands of miles away.... AND using my i-phone to get well wishes will have a consequence that my bank account won't want to pay.  So I am trying to deal, not freak out, and praise Jesus for the opportunity to serve Him inspite of the feelings that are mounting.  You know, where you are home-sick before you ever even leave?

I am hoping that I can convince one of my best pals on this earth to blog for me while I am gone.  She went with me on this trip last year.  We served, laughed, cried, worked, walked, prayed, and sweated our way through a fabulous week.  God did not release her to go this year.  We are both a bit sad about it.  The bonds shared and memories made from this kind of life-changing trip are strong and lasting.  The truth is~ you yearn to experience it again.  So, because I know she will be bummed....I want her to write on my blog in my absence.  Small thing to ask, right?!?

Anyway, amidst my current circumstances God has been telling me to "lighten up". 

I tend to gravitate toward the serious side of life on my own.  But I think His nudging for some lightness is timely and important.  Truthfully, even if I leave here with things in a mess and unorganized.  IT WILL BE OK.  Not my preference, of course, but still OK.

The enemy does not want me to go and experience a deeper need and passion for Christ.  He doen't want lives to be changed forever because of Jesus.  He doens't want us to depend upon Christ for everything in a poor country.  He doesn't want us to see miraculous provisions that God has in store.  He wants to thwart and stop any effort to bring glory to Jesus...the One he hates.

So here is how God used humor in my life to lighten me up this week. 

My husband and I were in the car headed to lunch.  While sitting at a red light, I heard the bing of my phone telling me that I had a text message. 

I pulled it up and saw that my dear friend Caroline had sent me one of her encouraging texts.  It said, "I am behind you, girl."

This is just like her....my sweet friend of 20 years.  She knows I am stressed.  She knows I am busy and preparing. I figured she just wanted to just offer her support for my trip or maybe a recent blog entry.

So I texted back, "Thanks.  Is this in reference to something specific?" 

My phone pings again and her text says, "No.  Literally.  I am behind you.  Are you at the red light?"

Oh my word.

See what I mean? 

Entirely too serious....and in need of some major lightening up!!

Turns out she was headed to the same place we were going to eat.  We laughed and laughed at my unhealthy knack for looking past the obvious. 

So for the next week I hope to lighten up somewhat and prepare my heart for what lies ahead....


No comments: