Tuesday, July 10, 2012

When He answers my secret prayers...

There is a line in a song I love.  It personifies God as our Secret Keeper.

Is He yours?

He is mine.

He knows the habits I wish I didn't have.
He knows the lies I tell myself and sometimes others.
He knows each insecurity by name.
He knows the list of people who irk me.
He knows those I have yet to forgive.
He knows the secret longings....of this fragile, stubborn, purposed, and wayward heart.

I am not one of those people who is bothered to pray out loud in front of others.  But those listening will never hear some of the secret things I pray to just Him. 

For the past couple of weeks I have had some recurring themes in my prayers.  They are not necessarily bad, but probably not fueled by a merciful heart.  More like, "Ok Lord...get on with it.  Show these people that we really have heard from you.  Do your thing.  I am parched and dry.  I am not letting go here but could You throw in a little retribution for those who mock and doubt?"

See I told you. Not very spiritual.

I really thought this was just me spouting off some of my hot air.  Getting it off of my chest so to speak.

But then He speaks....

Secret words that you have spoken quietly, albeit firmly, in places where no one was sure to hear.

But He heard.  Every strained word.  Every desperate plea.

This was the scripture He spoke back to me.  It comes from Isaiah 35: 1-6.

"The desert and the parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice and blossom.
Kike the crocus, it will burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy.
The glory of Lebanon will be given to it, the splendor of Carmel and Sharon;
they will see the glory of the Lord, the splendor of our God.
Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way;
say to those with fearful hearts, 'Be strong, do not fear,
your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you.'
Then will the eyes of the blind be opened
and the ears of the deaf unstopped.
Then the lame will leap like a deer, 
and the mute tongue shout for joy.  
Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the dessert.


I have highlighted a few words that I have dared to utter to the Almighty on my own behalf...in secret, of course. 

My chill bumps reappear every time I tell it.  My heart swells with appreciation and gratitude.  His kindness toward us is incomprehensible.  He does this to me over and over.  Reminds.  Reaffirms.  Re-speaks the same promise.

I am undone.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post from my a beautiful young woman ....my daughter.

I stand with you... the lame will leap and the mute will speak. She will run, skip, and dance. She will talk, whistle and sing.

I love you dearly,

Mom