Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Name them one by one

Being a Baptist girl raised in the South I have gotten to sing my fair share of "Count Your Blessings" within the walls of my church.  This particular hymn seemed to be a favorite in my growing up years.  Times have changed and music styles have changed too so we don't sing much about counting your blessings anymore. I love our praise and worship songs of late but sometimes my soul wants a run down memory lane.

I can still picture in my mind coming to the close of the hymn and the music minister would always begin to slow us down but somehow get us to sing this part louder than the rest..."County your blessinngs; Name...them....one....by....one......Count your many blessings see what God has done."

If your smiling then you remember that too.

Anyway I just wanted to name a few of my blessings...one by one style if you don't mind.

My Lord and Savior is number one.  He saved me.  Raised me.  Healed me.  Redeemed me.  But under Him...comes this fella.  My Shep.  My husband of 14 years.  This picture was taken on my phone at the lake a few Saturdays ago.  Isn't he dashing?  He just celebrated a birthday this past weekend.  He is seven years older than me but somehow he retains this deceiving youthfulness.  It is completely unfair.  See those laugh lines around his eyes?  I have gotten to participate in many of those hearty, gut-wrenching laughs in his presence.  He is the best storyteller I know.  He never speaks ill of others.  He gets up early to fall on his knees and pray.  He works hard.  He trusts God.  He encourages anyone he meets.  He sings for fun.  He is moved with compassion.  His faith defines his walk.  His friends respect him.  He walks with integrity.  And if I met him for the first time today...I would fall head over heels again.
Ava, Caroline, and Zeke would fall right under their daddy.  This picture was taken with my phone on the night we went to meet their new teachers for the year.  School has been back in for a little over a week.  We are all still trying to work into a groove.  So far, so good.  I watch their little personalities bloom almost daily.  Ava loves school.  She enjoys every aspect.  She embraces her friends and the work with equal enthusiasm.  Caroline has a new parapro this year and we are crazy about her.  Caroline engages and charms anyone who will let her.  Some times people don't stop to take the time to look into her big almond shaped eyes.  But if you do...you are hooked.  My little man has done great.  He is only 4 years old. But he is attending Pre-K at the same school with his sisters.  We have had a few bumps in the road but nothing major.

These kids light me up and wear me out.  They delight my day and drive me nuts.  I know they watch me live more than they listen to what I say.  I pray daily that I can live a life that pleases Jesus and teaches them as well.

That was pretty easy.  Under the Lord Jesus I named my 4 biggest blessings.  There are countless others....

Today I needed to count.  I needed to name them one by one.

I will go on today bragging on God's goodness in my life.  Notice I didn't say ease...but His goodness.














No comments: