Thursday, December 11, 2008

Happy Birthday Momma




My momma is quite a lady. She seeks to please God in all that she does and she lives out her faith for all to see. She is one of my very best friends and strongest cheerleaders. She strives to push herself and others toward a closer relationship with Jesus.


My life growing up with her as my mama was not easy....if she was around then I got away with nothing. She was on me like white on rice. I can say, however, that her constant guard kept me out of a lot of trouble and away from a lot of temptation. I want to be that same annoying kind of parent to my children. I want to know their business...all of it. I don't want to be naive as to what they are dealing with...I want to know the war they are fighting so that I can help them. My mom talked very straight with me. She knew better than to not do it. I appreciate it so much. She influenced the kind of friends I had and the kind of boys I dated...her opinion really mattered to me and it still does.

She is a writer, a teacher, a mentor, a prophet (at times), a challenging truth-teller, a devoted wife, a dependable and loving mama, and an amazing me-mama ( as Ava calls her) to her grand-children. More than all of this, I see her spending her days full of joy, called by obedience, surrendered to His plan, and worshipping at His feet. She is always aware of her inadequacy and His sufficiency...her weakness and His strength....her frailty and His power in her life. I love her and look up to her immensely. She pushes me to be a better daughter, mother, wife, and friend. She sees the progress that Christ is making in my life when all I see are failures...I am so thankful for her in my life.


Happy Birthday momma....I loved your surprise party!!

No comments: