Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I should have known...

Yesterday morning Zeke woke me up early with an empty tummy. I fed him and then he wanted to play. I just laid there listening to my 6 month old making sweet sounds and watching him play his favorite game of grabbing his feet. I decided to get up, take my time, get a bath, and spend some time with the Lord before the girls got up. My quiet time was all about "trusting God". The title alone should have told me that I was facing a doozie of a day...but at this point I was still blissfully ignorant of what the day held for me.
Basically, things went wrong in my day. Complications and aggravations were at my every turn. Even at this point..."Trust Him"....
That seems silly. Of course we say we trust Him. But what about on the little things. Lost items, bad attitudes, and inconveniences that He allows. The truth is we don't want to trust Him on these things...it is too easy for us to fret and soak in our own cynicism. I know God is crazy about me and He doesn't want to just be in my 10 minute devotion for the day. He wants to be the center of everything in my day. When He is...I will and can trust Him and talk to Him about rude people, those sun-glasses I lost again, and sitting on hold for many minutes waiting on someone other than an automated voice to help me with cell phone problems.
Anyway, this morning my devotion was about prayer and knowing God's will for your life. I am not good at prayer...I don't know many people who are. It is hard and takes willful effort. So, I have asked the Lord to help me today. I will probably ask Him again in an hour...then again in another hour. I have asked Him to speak to me and help me know when it is Him. I am going to trust that He will do this.
So-I have another day out before me. I want to tackle it head on. I want to do God's will for me today...whatever that is.

"However, as it is written: 'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him'-but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit" 1 Corin. 2:9-10.

I love the first part of this verse. I want to see what no eye has seen, hear what no ear has heard, and conceive what my mind cannot because I do love Him...and these things are attainable. The second part of that verse says "but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit". His Spirit lives in me and therefore walks with me and talks with me.
God, help me to be still and listen to you and trust you.

No comments: