Wednesday, December 2, 2009

No Holy Trophy

"It is a trap to presume that God wants to make us perfect specimens of what He can do- God's purpose is to make us one with Himself."

"How can we say, 'It could never be God's will for me to be sick?' If it was God's will to bruise His own Son, why wouldn't He bruise you? What shines forth and reveals God in your life is not your relative consistency to an idea of what a saint should be, but your genuine, living relationship with Jesus Christ, and your unrestrained devotion to Him whether you are well or sick."

"God's purpose is not to perfect me to make me a trophy in His showcase; He is getting me to the place where He can use me."

-Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest

These are just a few quotes from my very challenging devotional this morning. I usually have to read and re-read several times for the gist to sink in.

I am so grateful that God isn't interested in making me into a trophy of holiness. A trophy is pretty pointless. The recognition is nice, but face it....after a while a trophy collects dust and eventually gets put in a box for storage. (I don't know where most of my trophies are from when I was growing up.)

God is about the bruising. God is about the blessing. God is about equipping. God is about excavating. God is about taking. God is about giving. God is about sacrifice. God is about service. God is about smiling. God is about process. God is precise.

He is all of it.

To recognize His goodness only in the good is forsaking the nature of who He really is.

It gives me hope during this ongoing season of my life.

I believe He is at work producing holiness in me....even and especially at most lowest points.

Sometimes I feel so useless...especially about what I believe (Caroline). However, if people smell the sweet aroma of grace during times of pressing and stretching in my life, then I am believing a lie. Grace, even seen through desperation in others is still pleasing to God and encouraging to others. To call it useless is a lie of my enemy.

Press on Lord...press on.

Phil. 3:12 "Not that I have already attained or am already perfect...."

1 comment:

Tess said...

Good word sister! What would we do without our ever-challenging man Oswald Chambers? He always puts it just like God needs me to hear it...HARD AND TO THE POINT. What can I say, God is always on us!! But I can't say I'd rather it be any different!