Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Just picture it...

My little man (Zeke) ran a fever all day long yesterday. I did the typical "mom" thing and started the Tylenol/Ibuprofen regimen.

He was pretty pitiful and sad most of the day. He didn't want to eat or play...he just wanted to be held.

I don't mind telling you that holding him was the highlight of the day. His snuggling to me didn't bother me one bit. But, I hated him not feeling well.

As the evening crept on his fever continued to spike despite the medicine. Finally at 10:30 Shep and I decided that I should take him on to the ER.

Of course I called my parents and my daddy insisted that he should meet me there. I didn't know at the time but I was so grateful for that later.

I entered the ER with Zeke on my hip and was immediately asked to fill out a mound of paperwork, get a read on Zeke's oxygen level and temperature. Then I was promptly told to have a seat with the rest of the folks waiting.

(Jaw drop here!!)

The room was slammed.

I really couldn't believe my eyes. Evidently when people take someone to the ER they feel the need to bring the entire family in most cases. I took my seat and tried my best to fit in and not stare at everyone else although I wanted to so badly!

My dad got there within the half hour and I was so glad to have his company. We talked and laughed and tried to make the best of our circumstances.

About that time...Zeke looked up into my face and opened his mouth. Buckets of puke begin to just pour out. I am sure it only lasted for a few seconds but it felt like an hour had passed. The best part was that Zeke just buried his little head into my chest for comfort.....thus using me as a bowl for his puke.

There were no words.

Dad tried to jump to action. But no amount of towels would have begun to touch this mess. The smell was unreal and the entire packed room was focused on us.

I gathered my dignity...kissed my son's head and handed him to my dad. Fortunately daddy had an extra t-shirt in his truck so he went and took on the task of cleaning Zeke up.

I began to get tickled. It was one of those moments when I wanted my closest friends to be flies on the wall. They would have loved to laugh with me....and at the moment I wanted them to.

Anyway, I ran home and changed clothes and still made it back before they called us back to be seen!?!

Oh the joys of motherhood and the memories made with my daddy!

3 comments:

Steph said...

Hope that Zeke is feeling better soon!!

Love you,
Steph

Francine said...

awww bless his heart!!i hope he is feeling better soon. Ill be praying for him!

Craig said...

That is toooo funny!! Every parent has been there!! Not in front of a room full of people though!!
Hope he is feeling better!
C