Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Gleaning

I was reading the Word last night and my passage was out of Ruth chapter 2. It was a simple text...basically about Ruth walking behind the workers and gleaning the leftovers of what they had left behind.

(Gleaning is the act of collecting leftover crops from farmers' fields after they have been harvested. Some ancient cultures have used the method of gleaning as an early welfare system.)
-Websters Dictionary


My devotion was challenging me to be a godly gleaner.

I am sure Ruth was not thrilled with her current circumstances. She was a widow and she chose to look after her mother-in-law. In order to do that she basically had to take on the role of a beggar to live and survive. She humbled herself to the lowest station to do the right and honorable thing.

I don't like my current circumstances.

BUT...there is much to be gleaned from them.

I don't want to let one morsel of God's grace for me slip through my fingers because of pride, busyness, or disappointment.

Lord God help me glean ALL that you have for me during these trying days. Help me not to shy away because of difficulty but to fully engage and soak up Your goodness in the midst of these difficulties. I love You Lord and I know You desire good for me. My heart trusts You while my flesh screams otherwise. Help me walk through each encounter of my day watching for You to teach me through it.

No comments: