Saturday, June 11, 2011

3,285 to be exact....



There is a relatively new song out called "Blessings". If you haven't heard it...I strongly recommend it. The singer is Laura Story.














I feel like the writer of this song has experienced pain, suffering, and longing to be able to express such perfectly fitted lyrics.

My favorite part of the song starts the chorus and says, "What if Your blessings come through raindrops? What if Your healing comes through tears? And what if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know Your near. What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise?"

Oh, I just belt it out...I sing it like I mean it..like I live it!



Tonight will mark the 3, 285th night that I have gone to sleep with a heaviness and longing that I didn't have before June 11, 2002.

But with that heaviness and longing comes a knowing. I KNOW HE IS NEAR.

Nine years ago today, the enemy sought to take my life and the life of my little girl.

Nine years ago today we were both in intensive care~

The pregnancy had been pretty normal. My water broke around 6:00 am. My contractions came strong and steady. We would have a baby girl soon. I was prepared to implement Baby wise and get her on a schedule as quickly as possible. The name was set. Her room was perfect. Grandparents were waiting to kiss fresh pink little checks and check fingers and toes.

But God Almighty allowed our lives to collide with an unspeakable tragedy. The delivery went very wrong. Shep slept on the floor of the waiting room that night wondering if he would leave as a widower and childless.

That day marked "a before and after" for us. We would never be the same. We could never be the same.

Today we celebrated Caroline's birthday....our mercy day. It was the day that God saw fit to extend mercy to us in the disguise of a little baby girl with severe needs. My greatest desire is to bring glory to God with my life. She is the tool He chose. Mercy, compassion, patience, faith, perseverance, courage, grace, kindness, self-control and love has grown and flourished from the depths of our pain. She is such a gift. She vaporizes every defense with a simple look. She captures you before you even know it....just ask those who are hooked.

Happy Birthday Sweet Caroline! We love you so very much!

Greater things have yet to come and greater things are still to be done......

5 comments:

Mande said...

Happy Birthday sweet angel!!! I think of you guys everytime I hear that song and have since the very first hearing of it months ago. It blesses me to read you speak of Caroline with such joy. She IS a blessing!!! I enjoyed whispering birthday wishes to her this week in VBS. Looks like some fun celebrating! We love y'all!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to my favorite 9 year old girl! Love you so much, Heather

Tess said...

SO THANKFUL to know this girl...Love you both beyond measure...

Steph said...

Happy Birthday sweet Caroline!!!

Love you!
Steph

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday sweet Caroline! How I miss seeing her face and yours too, Andrea every Sunday! I continue to pray and hope for a miracle, but she already is a miracle and such a sweet blessing! Love and miss you guys! Jennifer Madon