Friday, August 19, 2011

My Banana Break

This morning I arrived at the hospital at 7:30 am to relieve my dad. My mom had surgery yesterday. It went really well but she is expected to be in the hospital for a few days. Dad needed to go home, shower, and tend to a few things... so it was my shift.

I was happy to do it. My mom is one of my best friends.

I want desperately to help in any way possible and sometimes that is done best by just being there.

She slept most of the morning (good sleep) and she roused a few times. I was glad to see her smile when she saw my face.

I relished the quiet time in the Word and in prayer. There was nothing stirring except the occasional snore.:)

One of my best friends came by to sit with me and pass the time (sweet friend, huh?). We enjoyed our time visiting a getting tickled at my mom who randomly said off-the-wall things. (At one point the nurse asked for her name....and she said that it was "Mildred". I thought I would die trying to hold in my laughter....her name is "Nancy". Oh, the power of pain killers!:)

At one point I asked my friend if I could slip out and eat my banana in the waiting room. I didn't want my mom to wake and see or smell my food. That would be torture because she is not allowed any food yet. My friend told me to go so I slipped out.

I ambled around in the waiting room eating my banana and drinking my water. There was no one else in the room except an older gentlemen getting a coke from the machine. As he passed by me, he deliberately stopped and said, "You got somebody sick in here?"

I said, "Yes sir, my mom had surgery."

He said, "I am so sorry. I have been here since the 13th of June with my wife but she is going to rehab today."

I could tell he was really happy about this so I said, "Well, praise the Lord!"

Then I went on and asked, "What was wrong with her."

He tuned up to cry and told me that she had come in with pneumonia and then had lots of other issues due to medication woes.

I asked for her name and told her I would pray for her.

With tears bright in his eyes, he thanked me and told me he would be praying for my mom too.

I was finished with my banana but God wasn't finished speaking to my heart.

I continued ambling around the room and thought about all the ways that God's house is like a hospital. It is a place for healing and rest. It is a place to remove what destroys and kills the body. It is a place where people should be able to stop one another deliberately and tell their personal stories of sadness, perseverance, and triumph. It should be a place where grace is offered so freely because we all have our own stuff to deal with. Tears should be welcomed and encouragement spoken. At hospitals everyone seems to walk around with their heart on their sleeve. At church most folks walk around with a chip on their shoulder. Lord, help us! Lord, heal us!

Thank you Lord for using that sweet man to talk to my heart. I pray for he and his wife and they begin their journey toward going home. Thank you for his kindness and interest in me. Bless them Father in Jesus name.





No comments: