Thursday, October 6, 2011

By the light of the moon..

I have been a little off this week in my bible study. I can tell too.

Andrea without the Word of God permeating her life is not a good thing.

It is fall break here and our ladies Bible study group (which I have the awesome privilege of leading) decided to take a week off from meeting.

Time off is a good thing but I tend to fall behind when I don't have something holding my feet to the fire.

When I know that I have to stand in front of those women, look them in the eye and give them biblical instruction....I better be prepared.

Anyway I have been lagging. It has been a good week. But I can feel the pull of my flesh. My thoughts wander. My heart gives way. My doubts and fears begin their incessant whisperings. I knew that I could not stand one more second away from the Presence of my Lord.

His pull on my heart was overwhelming.

Funny too. It wasn't a pull of discipline....like a parent getting on to a child.

It was more like the pull I feel when Shep has been out of town and I am dying to see him, hug him, and hear his voice.

That was more like it.

Isn't it cool that God wants us to yearn for Him that way?

So...I slipped out into the night and planted myself on our sidewalk. The air was perfect. The sky was full of stars and the moon was shining bright. Then I opened His Word.

My study was focusing on John chapter 15. Jesus is talking about God the Father being the master Gardener and how He is the vine. We, believers in Christ, are the branches of that vine. The Word talks about His love toward us and how we are to remain and abide in His love.

When we do....these branches called our lives will produce fruit.

I thought about the fruit in my life.

Am I producing any??

Do others want more of Jesus because they see Him in me??

Yikes. I'm not sure and I don't think good intentions count.

There are many days spent in fruitless efforts.

Days when I try to make things happen instead of just abiding in Him.

Maybe tonight was fruitful. Not that anyone saw me but I knew I was missing something...Someone. The day is over and done but my heart couldn't rest until I had met with Him. Maybe learning to abide is first understanding when you aren't.

Lord, Your love for me is just indescribable. Thank you for tonight. I loved our meeting under the stars. Your Word spoke to my heart...it always does. I know You want to produce fruit in my life. Sometimes I really don't enjoy that process. It usually hurts and requires sacrifice on my part. Still, I trust You and I know You are worth it. Once I have begun to produce some fruit I usually become satisfied and I want to coast for a while. Because of your great love for me...you aren't. You want to produce even more fruit....much fruit. Help me to be a compliant child. Increase my faith. Forgive my failures. Gain some glory!

No comments: