Monday, October 10, 2011

Then sings my soul....

This new week did not greet me with great news.

It just seems like there is no end to financial stress.....we are feeling it hard.... as are so many others we know and love.

But still.

It is here and it is ours to deal with.

Hard stuff.

This afternoon I am fighting off the self-pity stuff.

On top of the junk swirling around in my head, I have now had to put Caroline in time-out for the first of probably many times.

I don't know what it is about coming home after school. She will cry and pitch fits for seemingly no reason. This is the time when I wish she could talk to me. But she can't so she resorts to kicking furniture or other things to get my attention. Time-out has to come into play when she deliberately disobeys me. People give me mixed reactions when I discuss behavior issues concerning my handicapped little girl. There is a lot in her life that constitutes treating her differently but we don't coddle rude behavior in this house....even if you are disabled. Believe you me....Caroline's body can't work correctly but her mind is fierce and sharp.

It seems that the only thing that works with her is to be isolated.

But, seriously. I hate doing it.

And it seems like we do it every single day.

Yuck.

Also, Ava is not feeling too great from having her flu vaccine. She is burrowed down in our big chair with a blanket. She is a bit hoarse and continues to rattle off with an occasional cough.

Thankfully one Helton child is enjoying a nap....and I'm sure he and I both will be the better for it when he wakes up.

Anyway I wanted to blog and thank the Lord for an awesome opportunity yesterday.

Isn't that what we are supposed to do when we are tempted to jump head first into a huge pool of "poor pitiful me"??

Be thankful.

So that is what I am going to choose to do.

Yesterday I got to go and sing with two other ladies who I love to pieces. We went to a church about an hour away and put on a little mini-concert. We had the privilege of singing 5 songs in their 11:00 service. I just loved it. There is something pretty awesome about singing praise to the one and only Jesus Christ; but it is even more spectacular when you are singing and you get to see the evidence of blessing on the faces of those listening.

Why?

Not because we are that good.

No.

But because of who we are singing about....our amazing God!

Let me tell you....I know these girls I was singing with. I have known them for well over 10 years and I have personally seen God do extraordinary things in their lives. I believe that they would say the same thing about me. I have watched Him rescue, heal, restore, rebuild, protect, expose, uplift, bless, equip, change, provide, establish, and renew them...and me. Gratitude pours from each of us and we want others to know it. Singing gives us that avenue.

Sometimes I can sing it better than I can say it.

It's like singing gives my soul a voice.

"Then sings my soul my Savior God to thee.
How great Thou art
How great Thou art
Then sings my soul my Savior God to thee.
How great Thou art.
How great Thou art."

Colossians 2:6-7 "So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."

1 comment:

Jacquelyn Ray said...

Had the BEST time Sunday singing with you girl! It had been WAAAYYYY too long!! :) Thanks for letting me fill in!! Love you!