Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Taking Comfort in the Uncomfortable

My devotion this morning illuminated a very familiar passage for me. The focus verse was Psalm 23:4. You know..."Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

So many of us are used to hearing this verse at funerals that we rarely want to pull it out at other times due to its association.

Today I didn't have a choice. It was the topic of my devotion...so Almighty God must have wanted to broaden my narrow perspective on this verse.

I have always associated this verse with sadness and sorrow. Again, probably because of the numerous funeral readings.

But....I believe this verse speaks volumes to those of us living and breathing.

The writer of my devotion gave numerous examples from his own life experience of ways that God's rod was a form of support, protection, and security for him.

Now I don't know if you would agree but someone who has gone on to heaven has little need of support, protection and security anymore. They are sealed and satisfied forever with Jesus.

But me? I could use some...

He said to think of God's Word as our rod or staff to use when traveling through unfamiliar, treacherous, and scary times.

Listen to the way the Message states this verse as opposed to the NIV...
"Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure."

Can you see the difference?

I am not implying that one version is superior to the other but I do like to compare verses to maybe expound on the meaning or my own understanding.

Death Valley can represent many things to me. Someone can actually die. Or you could be dealing with the death of a dream. How about the death of something that God has told you to put down...like an addiction or stronghold? Loss of material possessions or friendships...or maybe God has just said no.

What comes next? HE, our Sustainer and Friend, walks right beside us. We are never alone. Maybe we want to walk in silence. Maybe we want to yell and scream. Maybe we want to ask a boatload of questions. Whatever....He is there. He doesn't walk away.

Then he gives us something to hold onto. Whether you picture your own hand holding the rod or Christ guiding you with it...it still makes me smile.

He knows that we are people who feel. We have a need to FEEL secure. We need something physically touching us so that we sense the nearness of our guide. When rocks move under our feet we can instinctively grasp that rod and not fall.

The author of my devotion took it one step further and quoted appropriate scripture for the circumstance that was looming over him at the time. That was the way he pictured the rod. The rod for him was the Word. It steadied his feet. It lit up his path. It spoke louder than the questions. It calmed him in the midst of the storm.

I hope this passage has come alive for you in a different way today.

It may be a funeral favorite but it seems more appropriate for my day to day journey....

He guarantees Himself as our comfort...what a Savior!!

1 comment:

Steph said...

Thank you for sharing that! I really needed it!!

Love ya,
Steph