Monday, January 23, 2012

Tess and I go to Texas

This past weekend was a whirlwind but oh so WORTH IT! This picture is Tess and I waiting at the airport gate early Friday morning. Our destination was Houston, Texas. We were part of a group of women that had taken the challenge to learn and memorize 1 scripture every two weeks last year. (Can you tell we are beyond pumped?!?)

Beth Moore issued the challenge on her ministry blog last January. Tess and I wanted to "up our game" spiritually. So this had our names all over it. Not to mention that we would have each other to hold accountable all year long. This trip was both our reward and a rejuvenation! Beth held a small gathering (like 1000 or so ladies) at First Baptist Houston for those who had finished the course and followed through on their commitment.

By the grace of God Tess and I had done those things! We now had 24 verses locked in our beings and in our brains that were not housed there a year ago. God promises that His Word will not go out and not accomplish its intended work(Is. 55:11). We pray that our lives and our commitment will reap the harvest of His promise.

Before I indulge in the spiritual details of our weekend let me brag on this sweet girl that was my traveling companion. God made sure that our paths and hearts collided with an instant connection over 4 years ago. Our relationship began as me taking the role of mentor. That sentence can be a bit deceiving. Tess, in many many ways, is heads and tails ahead of me spiritually. My only edge on her is that I have been living life a few years longer than she has. We have a lot in common. We are both girly girls who love shopping, shoes, purses, and lip gloss. But we also crave the attention of Jesus Christ like no one else. We are shameless in our pursuit of Him and we can't contain our passion to speak of His goodness. We try to spur one another on in the Word of God on a weekly basis. We enjoy praying together like most women enjoy getting their nails done. She is a breath of fresh air! Her insight, gift of writing, and teaching ability far surpasses one of her age. God's presence radiates from her inner being and I delight in calling her my friend.

(I must say that we agreed that God's blessing must have rested on us this weekend because He made sure that a Galleria mall was within 1 block of our hotel. We could see Nordstroms, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Nieman Marcus from our window. God was speaking our love language. ;)
Here are Tess and I standing outside of Houston First Baptist Church. We could hardly stand the anticipation. We met several other ladies from our hotel who had also completed their scripture memory verses. We couldn't wait to sit under Beth's teaching!!
God used Beth to speak HUGE truths to us. One in particular came from 2 John vs. 8. "Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully."

I had never given much thought to the fact that my enemy wants to steal from me that which I have worked hard to gain. We haven't worked hard to gain Jesus. He is our free gift through faith so we can't lose Him. BUT there are countless areas in my life where God has indeed changed me, freed me, and grown me up in Him.
If I am not intentional then my enemy can sneak in and take ground that the Lord and I have worked hard to conquer....is this speaking to anyone else??













This was my view during praise and worship. Travis Cottrell and his amazing team lead us in anointed worship to our King. Isn't this a beautiful sight? Look at all of those hands lifted to the Lord. Some of them in surrender, some in awe, some in joy, and some are lifted as a sacrifice during heartache and sorrow. I can't describe what worship does to a believer's soul. But this kind of corporate worship just does me in. I am a mess. My hands were raised as well. My praise was flowing from a thankful heart...humbled that He still takes a gamble on a fickle faithed girl like me. I truly felt the weight of His matchless love and grace during this time...















I came home just before midnight on Saturday to find this sweet sign made by the little hands of my babies.

It warmed my heart so much.

Now the work must begin.

Welcome Home....and walk your talk!

No comments: