Sunday, January 8, 2012

Theirs and Mine

Shep left early on Thursday morning to go hunting with his brother and best friend from law school. They try to do two trips per year. I hate it when he leaves but I love the chance for him to get away. I will tell you that I certainly adhere to the saying that, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." When he is gone...I miss him like crazy. The kids and I count the days until he comes back home.

My mom and dad came to hang out with us most of the time that Shep was away. They are a huge help to me. Plus, I really enjoy their company. I spent a lot of alone time with them in my growing up years. My brothers were seven and nine years older than me so I was kind of like an only child. My brothers were out of the house by the time I was 12 years old or so. I have a ton of memories singing, laughing, eating, traveling, and playing with my parents. They are a trip. My kids really like the additional time with them....AND it makes daddy being gone a little more bearable.

Shep made it safely back home today and there was endless rejoicing with his return. Each kid took their turn of individual attention and hands-on time. They love for Shep to hold them, tickle them, throw them up in the air, wrestle with them, and build forts. That quickly became the decided upon activity. So, after I got my own chance of individual attention, they disappeared upstairs to build their fort.

I took the same opportunity myself.

As you can see I built myself a little fort.

A fortress of solitude.

I heard that their fort was made using chairs and a blanket.

Unfortunately our cat, Belle, destroyed their fort by jumping on top of their blanket ceiling.

Meanwhile...I was hunkered down in my own fort.

Complete with my two over sized pillows for maximum comfort.
My electric blanket turned on high for this nasty rainy day.
My bible and bible study book of James.
My latest fiction read.
A twix candy bar....and a coke.

Bliss I tell you. Pure bliss.

Welcome home Shepard. Thank for letting me enjoy my own little fort.

No comments: