Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sing it like you need it

Our worship pastor encourages our choir and vocal team members with this phrase on a pretty regular basis.

"If you sing it like you need it...it will sound (and look) like you mean it".

That could be a tongue twister if you say it fast 5 times...but when you break it down...and say it S L O W L Y...it makes some sense to this girl.

Last night I (along with 2 other fabulous ladies) had the opportunity to minister through singing at a Valentine banquet. We had our song list ready (10 songs...whew!), we had practiced and we were ready.

Only...

my heart wasn't.

I wanted to hit some pretty notes but God knew I didn't have a pretty heart.

I have mentioned numerous times that a big struggle for me is to be intentional about my walk with Christ. If left to myself....I spiral downward and in a hurry.

This was the case for the past couple of days.

Shep and I are praying about some very specific things. The answer, however, is a bit slow in coming.

Did I mention that I hate waiting?

Anyway, my heart fails sometimes. Discouragement sets in and I just want to be the centerpiece in my very own pity party.

So after some serious prayer to get my heart right....we got to sing.

Singing is a release and a rally for me.

I feel like somehow when I sing songs to God my doubts, fears, anxiety, and hurt all come pouring out too. I release it, if only momentarily.

But then there is the rallying part.

My spirit rallies as I sing truths about the only One who really matters. The One who holds me when I am coming undone. The One who hears the prayers I won't utter aloud. The One who paid my ransom and took all my sins away. All of them gone.

As I sing and tell Him and anyone listening about His greatness I somehow get absorbed in who He really is.

Suddenly those doubts, fears, concerns, and hurts dissipate like vapor.

That is singing it like you need it.

This was my quote in yesterday's devotion. "Let us sing even when we do not feel like it, for in this way we give wings to heavy feet and turn weariness into strength." -John Henry Jowett (from Streams in the Desert)

A heaviness and weariness was indeed upon me....until I began to sing. Then I was soaring in His strength.

(Thank you Jac and Sonya for joining me in the ride and blessing the Lord with the gifts He has given you. It was my pleasure!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

timing is everything...i just sent you a FB message...and then read this post. :) praying you through your struggle. thanks for sharing.