Monday, April 22, 2013

The Scream Machine





I can remember peering through the metal fence and watching my mom and my teenage brothers board the super high and super scary wooden roller coaster that was infamously known as The Scream Machine. 

I was probably 6 or 7 years old at the time of this visit.

My daddy stayed right beside me and pointed out the train that my mom and brothers would be riding.

I was happy to be a spectator.

This ride looked like certain suicide to my little girl eyes and I wanted no part of it.

I remember thinking how crazy my mom and brothers were to not only ride the giant rickety coaster but their enthusiasm about the huge hills and fast speed totally eluded me.

I am pretty sure I ran to meet them when they came up the exit ramp happy that they were still in one piece.

They were grinning ear to ear...and what was even more weird....they couldn't wait to ride it again. 

They gave us the play-by-play and described the fear and exhilaration to us as each hill took their breath (and their stomachs) away.

A few years went by and I visited the park again.

At 14 years old the Scream Machine still scared me to death.  But jeers from my friends and curiosity got the best of me.  I found myself gulping hard as we were herded like cattle through the winding long line.  Finally it was my turn to board the ride.  I am certain my heart was racing a mile a second but I showed no fear in front of my friends.

But it was there.

I remember wondering if there was ever an end to the ride to the top of that first hill............and suddenly it was upon me.

My stomach dropped to my sandals and I found myself screaming and laughing in delight.  More hills and fast speed followed and I loved every second.  I was sad when the ride ended.

Just like my mom and my brothers a few years back, I couldn't wait to ride again.

A roller coaster thrill seeker was born.

 I am a coaster enthusiast. Unfortunately I don't have the money or time to support my love for different coasters but I am never going to go past one and not ride it...most of the time with my hands high in the air!

Loops, bends, sharp curves, and fast speeds lure me like nothing else....

I want my stomach to drop, my heart to race, my hair to fly, and my face to flatten from the force of high speeds.

This is fun to me. 

I write all of this because I think back often to that little girl who stood and watched the others do the very thing that one day she would do.

Then I was content to be the spectator but now I must participate.

God showed me that the life He has for me is so much like this.

I used to be content to watch others with wide-eyed wonder as they experienced exhilaration of His work in their lives.

Then.....I experienced it for myself.

I can never go back.

Faith still looks scary and huge but the fun comes from the ride itself.  Each hill brings a new thrill. Each turn a new opportunity to trust and believe.  Each drop brings my stomach crashing down to my feet.

But I always want to ride again.

The force of some rides bring tears streaming out of my eyes.  Other rides leave me sore from erratic turns and odd angles.  My head will sometimes hurt from being upside down and backwards over and over again.  But each ride is unique and thrilling all at the same time.

I want to be that curly headed girl in the front car on this ride of faith....fully expecting God to thrill me as only He can with my hands raised the whole way!







No comments: