Friday, January 28, 2011

SHARP

Proverbs 27:17 says, "Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

Because I have been raised in the church I have always had a certain picture in my mind of how this verse plays out..

Can you just see it?

Men.
Strong men.
Sold out for God.
Grounded in their faith.
Marked with their love for God.
Changed by His Word and grace in their lives.

I can see them meeting together. Praying for each other. Bearing burdens for one another and studying the scriptures for life application.

This is easy for me to see because my husband is so blessed to have such men in his life. These same men are like brothers to me.

They press in close when others walk away.

They believe more when others settle for less.

***************************************

Just recently this verse has changed slightly in its meaning for me.

We have rituals in our home.

There are certain things that I do.

There are certain things that Shep does.

One of Shep's nightly rituals is bedtime for Zeke.

Zeke is 2 and a half and thinks that his daddy is "the stuff".

Every night after teeth are brushed, kisses are given and necks are hugged... Shep and Zeke walk toward his bedroom.

I usually stay away to let them "do their thing" but sometimes a momma just has to eavesdrop to enjoy the sweetness of such moments.

What happens with those two is nothing short of (big) iron sharpening (little) iron. It blesses me to no end!

Shep drops to the floor and his arms open wide. Zeke rushes in with his head buried deep into his daddy's chest. I love yous are exchanged. Next comes the prayer of blessing from father to son. Oh, how I love it!

Shep not only prays for his son. Asking for blessing, protection, Godly influence and character, strength, wisdom, courage, and humility. But with each night that passes and each prayer that is prayed....Shep is teaching his son how to pray....what to pray...and how to be a man of God.

Isn't that a glorious picture of iron sharpening iron?

2 comments:

Tess said...

Oh I love it! I can just picture it. May he be a MIGHTY man of God! Maybe one day, Brett will get that same honor :)

Mel said...

Andrea, this is such a beautiful picture you are painting! What a wonderful blessing!