Sunday, July 3, 2011

Stopping half-way

I sit here on this eve of July 4th and I ponder freedom.

I am sure that I don't appreciate it appropriately because I have never known anything else. I have always lived in a country where I am free to speak, act, and believe what I want.

So then I reflect on spiritual freedom.
After all, freedom was God's idea in the first place.

I relished in a worship service today that focused on God's redemptive work to set us free.
He died so I could live.
He conquered death so I could live victoriously through His power.

Most of us enjoy our liberties of freedom.

We do what we want....when we want....with whom we want.
We buy want we want simply because we want it.
We spend our time and money freely because we can.
We are driven by desires.
If it makes us feel good~then it must be good?!? Right?

Are we free to do this....yes.

But I am pretty certain that this really isn't freedom.

Freedom is having the opportunity to do something and choosing NOT to because you know you shouldn't.

Now that is a form of freedom that isn't talked about very much!

Look at Galatians 5:1. "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."

I think most of us stop half-way through that verse.

We celebrate the freedom that Christ has given us. But we don't adhere to His warning in the second half of the verse.

STAND FIRM AND DON'T BECOME A SLAVE AGAIN!!

He knows this will always be a battle for us. He knows we will "worship" things other than Him.

Think about it...before you scoff.

How many people do you know that revolve their lives around
-money
-their kids
-jobs
-possessions
-status
and these are just the ones that the world says are okay to idolize.

God says that we are NOT living in freedom if these things or anything else come before Him.

As I think about His great love for me and the price He paid, I want to stand firm and NOT be bound again to the things that compete with my love for Him.

Lord thank you for dying for my freedom. I will admit that I need to be freed mostly from myself. My thoughts, my feelings, and my wants need to change into Yours. Help me to do that. Please forgive me for taking on burdens and idols that compete with You. My focus should be You and You alone. You turn my darkness into light and my burdens ease in Your Presence. Your peace should radiate from me. These days I feel like I walk around in a frenzy of worry...I am so sorry. That is not doing Your name justice at all. Your freedom is the best kind. Your freedom enables me to forgive others and love my enemies. Your freedom offers grace and mercy instead of spite, bitterness, and resentment. I have tasted Your freedom and I know it is good. I love you Lord. Thank you for reminding me not to stop half-way but to stand firm and be on guard because my enemy seeks to distract me with anything other than You. I walk others to see Your freedom in me. Let me be a walking billboard ....a trophy of grace, compassion, love, kindness, strength, and FREEDOM!


No comments: